Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

A few wildflower i.d.'s please

10K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  dragonfly 
#1 · (Edited)
Here are a few wildflowers from the great state of Texas that I need help with there I.D. And if the bees work them or not. My "Wildflowers of Texas" book is on the way just not here yet. Also, Dragonfly if you reads this. What about broom weed for the bees.

First is the most abundant. I am covered up in this.

Tons of this but not as much as the above. I think this may be Golden Rod. Though its not blooming yet.

Last but not least. Not a ton of this but its blooming.

See less See more
#4 ·
The first picture is Snow-On-the-Mountain, not sure how much the bees work it. It is in the milkweed family.
The second one, I'm not sure, but I'm guessing Mare's Tail, and that's probably not the real name - just what us Okies call it.
The third one is not something that I've seen growing on these plains.
Sunflowers are just now starting to bloom, ironweed is blooming, haven't seen any goldenrod yet, but I've got plenty of ragweed, yuk.

#5 ·
Thanks. The Sunflowers have been blooming here for 3-4 weeks now. We got about a .25 inch of rain 4 days ago and the plants I posted really grew. If I would have taken those pics last Sunday they would not look near as good. Wish I could get a inch or 5.

#13 ·
If it's not a good nectar source this year. It's at least a great Pollen source. With the rains we have had the last few days, it has bloomed like crazy. I have never seen them bring in this much pollen. The bumble bees and paper wasp were working it really hard too.

#14 ·
This turned out to be GOLDEN ROD!!!! :) Well I am 98% sure. I did not have my camera tonight, but I will take some pics tomorrow. I took/posted those 1 month ago and it is just starting to bloom.

#11 ·
Hmmm Derek. You've got me stumped on that one.;)
I don't recognize the foliage as any wildflower that I've seen in this area. The foliage looks a little similar to mullein, but mullein doesn't typically branch out like that. It also looks a little like golden crownbeard, but that bloomed here months ago. I'll be interested to know what it is, and please post a photo when it blooms.

#12 ·
If anyone would have had it. I thought it would have been you Dragonfly. With the 1.5" of rain today I hope it takes off and blooms. I will post the blooms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.