Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buckwheat

Default Buckwheat

I was wanting to plant some buckwheat for my bees but I do not know much about this crop. I was told that buckwheat honey is dark like molassas? Can this crop be invasive if I were to plant in on my deer food plots? Does buckwheat produce alot of necture? Will it produce well here in the south?

To me, Buckwheat is the best honey....I know a tree farmer uses it to put things back into the ground that other things take out. Must be good.

buckwheat is an annual so in that sense its not invasive. but it reseeds readily and will reappear.

How do you sow the seeds? I've got hives at a guys property where he would not mind if I spread some seed, but it would only work if I could just spread the seed. Will that work?

Also, would buckwheat plants be edible by livestock. The property owner plans to start raising goats in the future. I figure goats eat just about everything, but I would not want to accidentally start a poisonous plant.

Could it be planted as a fall crop in the south? Would it create a necture flow large enough to get a hive to draw out comb?

Smile Here is a web search for you.

http://search.rr.com/search?qs=growi...=aol-rr&pd=yes

Buckwheat: A Multi-Purpose, Short-Season Alternative
    University of Missouri
    http://extension.missouri.edu/xplor/...ops/g04306.htm

Good luck,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Default Buckwheat

Ha just what I wanted!!! I was goingto disc some dirt today and now I think I'll throw some buckwheat on top of it! See this site has helped me already!!!
    Actually I was gong to put some on in the spring but this late season plant will be more benificial for the bee's and for a cover crop till spring!
    Thanks for the info Bees4u and Docking for putting up the post

ok I'm the only thing I found locally is buckwheat oats. He has it on order and wont be here for a week so I cant look at the seeds as decribed in the Missouri extention link. arghh. It may be the same thing or I'll order it. If anyone in Missouri or Kansas knows of a place close let me know please
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Docking View Post
    Could it be planted as a fall crop in the south? Would it create a necture flow large enough to get a hive to draw out comb?
    Buckwheat is quick to bloom, about 30 days. So, you could plant it now and it will bloom before frost. However, the first frost will kill it all. I grow it during the summer for my bees to use for overwintering and they work it heavily during the morning hours. After lunch, no bees in the buckwheat.

Good luck.

Default Buckwheat Seed Sources

Here are my web searches:

http://search.rr.com/search?qs=BUCKW...=aol-rr&pd=yes

http://www.nextag.com/buckwheat-seed/search-html
    (It has small photos that you can click on)

Regards,
    Ernie
    Last edited by BEES4U; 08-08-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added words
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

i waited until june 15th to plant about 5#s of buckwheat for the bees(and the deer)here in montana.on june 17th it snowed an inch.none of it came up.next year i'll wait till july 1st.it is deffinately not poisonous.or i would be dead from pancakes.

I found some @ my MFA store warehouse in Sedalia,MO for $26.00 for 50lbs!!
    Wil be picking it up next thursday. In the ground friday If I'm lucky

Stores that sell bulk grains will sometimes have it. I've found that the hulled stuff will sprout.

Default Buckwheat

I planted about 1/2 A of buckwheat this year to see what it would do. It only produces nectar in the morning, but my bees are collecting a lot of honey from it. My wife and I really like the honey from it. I got my seed from Outside pride. They seem to have about any kind of seed you want, and get it to you real quick. I drilled it about 1 inch deep with a little push seeder, produced some sweat, but it was not too bad of a job. I do not think that broadcasting the seed on top of the ground would work, unless you had some continous moisture for about 5 days. I will definately be planting it again next year.

Dave

I planted it one time by broadcasting it over a disced field before a rain. It came up readily and did well, but I did not find it to be a problem with re-seeding.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

If you want to broadcast, I would till or roll afterwards unless you could water every day for about 2-3 days.

I have some that came back from last years seed, but it's pretty wimpy as weeds go.

I was wondering where BeeAware found the seed in limestone Co.? My plots are about an acre, about how many hives could that carry? or how many should I start and test?

Quote Originally Posted by Docking View Post
    I was wondering where BeeAware found the seed in limestone Co.? My plots are about an acre, about how many hives could that carry? or how many should I start and test?
    I work for a seed and chemical supply firm and I ordered the seed from a company in Mississippi. There is a company in Lauderdale County which used to sell Buckwheat also. I think the name is Clemmons & Hammer, or something like that. Also, C.T. Garvin in Huntsville sometimes has the seed.

About 2 hives per acre is ideal for pollinating the buckwheat and for collecting a surplus of honey.

I bought mine by the 50# bag at a feed and seed in Ft Worth, so you may try checking your local feed and seed stores.
    So many weeds.......so little time.

Maybe Next year I will plant some buckwheat. I will have to look for seed now, in anticipation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast