Default Capping knife or plane?

Kelley's has a capping plane that says it can be set for any depth. What do you guys recomend for a small guy like me, a knife or a plane?

I've never used one and I'm happy with an uncapping fork. Probably uncapped maybe 60+ frames this year. One of our club members son bought an uncapping plane and the concensus was it was too much money spent for their operation. The knife and/or fork are just as efficient for the amount of uncapping needing to be done. Maybe you'll get some feedback by someone who uses one.

Good luck,

Pete0
    Bena, VA

I've never had an uncapping plane, but I do have a few uncapping electric knives that I really like. Some of my friends have planes and like them. Maybe you can borrow one of each from a beekeep in one of your local clubs and try them out and pick what you like better.

Just bought a plane and love it. Seems to go twice as fast.
    Thanks for your time, Beehopper

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    I've never had an uncapping plane, but I do have a few uncapping electric knives that I really like. Some of my friends have planes and like them. Maybe you can borrow one of each from a beekeep in one of your local clubs and try them out and pick what you like better.
    Where did you get them and what models are they? I currently use a serated bread/meat knife and a pastry stabbing kind of thing with sharp points for what I missed.

My vote is for the plane. Easier on wrists, faster, less wax debris (for me anyway), depth setting makes an even smooth cut, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by notaclue View Post
    Where did you get them and what models are they? I currently use a serated bread/meat knife and a pastry stabbing kind of thing with sharp points for what I missed.
    Notaclue, I bought one here on beesource a year or so ago, and the other from Dadant in Waverly NY. One is called the Speed King Knife and the other Master Knife. One has a thermostat that you can set the other knife is not adjustable. I have an old catalog in front of me and there is a buck difference in price.

I forget the actual manufacturing companies name. Maybe someone else here has it off the top of their head. If not, I'll look it up after I get home.

In any event, Dadant carries it and I imagine the other beekeeping supply places do also. Oh, and I have seen them from time to time on Ebay, but I would be leary of problems with them there.

Maxant makes planes. There was another company I found doing some research once upon a time, but it slipped my mind. I keep lousy records of some things found during searches.