Default IS there such a thing

Is there a SHB attractant? Something that lures them.:confused: (besides my hive that is):mad:

A January 2008 article in ABJ cites YEAST as a bait for SHB.

"The beetles carry yeast into colonies and the yeast grows on pollen. The yeast ferments, releasing compounds that mimic honey bee alarm pheromones, and also acts as an attractant to the beetles. As a result, beetle infestations can increase dramatically."

-- ABJ, January 2008, "AJs Beetle Eater" article, p.43, by Susan Cobey.

Thx for that info, much appriciated

Yes there is. Some sugar water with a few lemon drops or any other fruit juice will do the trick.

I feed my bees with a community feeder which consists of a white plastic tray with a layer of paper towels over it for traction. I began noticing SHB somewhat to my surprise. They stand out really well against the white background.

Killed 64 in one day just by grabbing them and tossing them into veg oil. But 10 is closer to average.

This is something I have been thinking about trying. I have noticed that SHB is VERY attracted to the new style T8 flourescent lights with electronic balast. Although the old style also attracts them the T8's probably attract at least 5 times more. Maybe 4' T8's over a pan of DE would get a lot of them. Has anybody tried this?

Tom

woa... nice observation flyman. I wonder if a T8 and a bug zapper might toast a few of those black devils?

Tecumseh, Maybe worth a try. The only SHB problem I have right now is with one hive I still have under a tree. The others are in full sun, sun up till sun down, facing east and I have seen maybe 4 to 5 SHB in 20+ hives. Sun definitely makes a difference.

Inside my shop are regular flourescent and they attract a fair number each night. I run around and squish them with my shoe. Outside, under the covered part, I installed 4, eight foot T8's so I could work at night and avoid the heat (ha). It's almost impossible to work under the T8's because of SHB flying down your collar. I would have to hire somebody to squish all of the little buggers. I think it has to do with the frequency or radiant energy the electronic ballast runs at. Just a thought.

Your idea of a bug zapper and T8 attractor has merit. Make sure it has a big pan for zapped bugs.

Tom
    Last edited by Flyman; 08-11-2008 at 07:20 PM. Reason: More Info

Default ahhhh

You answered a question for me. I have four hives in my yard beside my honey/wood work shop. The outside Murcury vaper lights attracts them. My hives are 10 feet from them !! The other 45 hives I have in out yards are in very deep woods, No lights from poles, full sun light I think I may have found my problem !!!!

I did notice the other night the wife and I where putting together some supers and they where falling down her shirt from the light....

I wonder what a bug zaper would do?

The University of Florida was developing a phermone to attract them , Ive heard nothing new about it in a while.

mr mansel writes:
    The University of Florida was developing a phermone to attract them

tecumseh replies: in a conversation I had two years ago with one of the fellows that developed the yeast, they were trying to find someone to produce and market the product. he didn't sound real encourage as to the prospect of finding someone and suggested that 'the economics' just wasn't there to make the idea fly.

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    mr mansel writes:
    The University of Florida was developing a phermone to attract them

tecumseh replies: in a conversation I had two years ago with one of the fellows that developed the yeast, they were trying to find someone to produce and market the product. he didn't sound real encourage as to the prospect of finding someone and suggested that 'the economics' just wasn't there to make the idea fly.
    I heard it was some kind of lure that mimicked the alarm phermone in hives.

Not that I'd recommend it, but some people are using peanut butter mixed with an insecticide (fipronyl) and placing it under hive bottom boards.

Interesting. I had always read that they are repelled by light. The only time I ever see them other than in the hive is after the sun has set.

I don't know about yeast for SHB, but it is the best flytrap bait in the world. I use the milkjug traps for flies around the chickens. I homebrew a lot, so I used the yeast sediment out of a batch of beer in the jug and added some sugar. I have had the same luck with bread yeast and sugar (you have to add water too of course). I have used this mehod side by side with the stinky bait that comes with the traps. It works so much better and does not smell bad either.
    Live Removals & Local Honey in Austin, Texas. www.austinbees.com