Default Second Opinion on Extracting

I know I will get more than one opinion, and probably a few people who think I am dumb for considering this at all. But here goes...

I do my full extraction in the beginning of September, but was looking to extract a little bit before then to give to some friends who are leaving before September. I don't want to get all of my extraction equipment out for 3-4 lbs. of honey, too much work and time.

So my idea was that I could go to a hive, pull 2 or 3 frames from a super and bring them home. Use a serrated bread knife to cut the cappings off. And then lay the frames, cut side down, on a cookie coolling rack and let them drip out into a baking tray, or something overnight. The next day I would flip and repeat.

What do you guys think? Sound feasible? Any pointers you could give me about some factors I am not seeing?

Thanks,
    --Jon D.

Default why not

Try and failing(or not getting the best results) is better than not trying at all. It sounds like it should work. Just be sure there's no access for flying critter during the night or they'll probably end up in your honey. You may want to try the same thing in a warm oven. 100 or so. The honey will flow faster.
    Michael

Gravity Extraction

It ought to work. Gravity will surely win. I would set the frame on the topbar and both sides should drain at the same time.

Pete0
    Bena, VA

i know i have read this method before. try Orman Aebi or jhon Vivian' "keeping bees". i think Aebi talks about it be cause they went years without an extracter
    "Any fool can learn, the trick is to understand - Einstein"

I did try this once and did not get good results. Very little honey drained out of the cells on my first attempt. I even tried heating the frame slightly to about 100 F and still could not get the honey to flow well with just gravity. Maybe you'll have better luck.

It doesn't drain real well, crush and strain!