One of my hives swarmed today landing on a nearby tree. To a newbee this was a pretty awesome sight. I didn't have an extra deep or a bottom board to house them in so I made a bottom board quick and topped it with a medium super. I placed this unit under the tree and gave it a good hard shake. About half of the bees landed on the hive and began crawling in. I came back about an hour later and they had filled the entire super with many more bees on the tree. At this point I added another medium super. Another couple hours later they were all in.
So now I have two mediums full of bees and a queen (I saw her go in). I can't afford to buy any more equipment this year but would like to use the bees to my benefit some how. I assume I can't just put them back where they came from? This seems too simple to be true.
The hive they came out of was overflowing with bees and still has many bees in it. The top deep is 95% full of capped honey. The small brood area in this deep has 4 remaining queen cells and one recently emptied queen cells. The bottom deep has no eggs as of yet with a reasonable amount of capped brood. I would say 75% of this bottom box is being used as a brood nest with the remaining 25% being used for nectar. There is a honey super on this hive which is about half full now. I was about 65% full and mostly capped. However in preparation to swarm they uncapped a good portion of it and took it with them or moved it. Today I also noticed there were more drones than I have ever seen flying in and out of the hive with many more on the ground around the hive. About every fifth bee coming and going was a drone. Were they mating with the new queen?
I have three other hives as well. Two are doing excellent with one super of capped honey and a second in the process of being drawn out. The other hive has either swarmed or is going to swarm real soon. I didn't have time to investigate further, as that was about the time I noticed the tree bearded with bees.
What should I do with these bees? I assume one of these hives can benefit from them some how. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated