Thread: Dead bees

Default Dead bees

Found dead bees in my top box were my feeder is. Is this normal? I'v only had them for about 3 weeks and don't know what i'm doing please help.

Thanks Steve

Quote Originally Posted by saltcube View Post
    don't know what i'm doing
    The possibilities are endless. How many dead bees? What type of feeder. What are you feeding them? Three weeks. Where did you get these bees? A nuc? A package? A swarm? .........and on and on.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

very common. the reasons can create a long list of possibilities.

There are about 10 to 15 every time i open the top, The feeder is just a jar that i mix sugar syrup in, and i got the swarm out of a bird house in my yard.
    is seems to be a small swarm they only fill up about 1/2 the deep box but are taking one jar of syrup every 4 to 5 days. So as far as i know they look good but as i said before "i don't know what I'm doing".

are you leaving enough space for bee to come and go thru the hole in the inner cover. If you dont do this bees will get trapped up top and cant move back down

yes i seperated the frames just a little at the hole for that reson. some of the bees were not dead yet but did not look good i diden't know if it were some sort of mite or somthing.

are you talking about dead bees in the top brood box. or dead bees in the box that covers the jar feeder above the inner cover. If you got dead bees in the brood box I would venture to guess you got more problems than feeding killing bees.

all of them that i have found have been on top of the inner cover i looked again yesterday and there were no new ones that have died how long do they live? is it the circle of life? if so that sucks because i had just named them all the day before haha just kidding thanks for all the help

Quote Originally Posted by saltcube View Post
    i had just named them all the day before
    Ear tags are much faster 10-15 a day is nothing, keep in mind the queen can lay well over a thousand eggs/day.