Default Introducing myself

Hello everyone. My name is Jim and I am in the process of becoming a beek. I am currently reading everthing I can get my hands on and also working with a good friend who has been a beek for approx. 40 years. I am a 43 year old Federal Corrections Officer. Happily married with two sons One 20 a junior in college in Chemistry degree program and a 15 year old computer genius. I am hoping to get my first hive in the spring if the good Lord lets me live that long. So please any advice would be appreciated and please forgive the stupid questions.

Welcome Jim!

Welcome to beekeeping.. I would subscribe to Bee Culture and American Bee Journal. I know if you call Dadant you can ask for last years from Jan to Dec 2007, American Bee Journal, that will bring you up to speed, and get a Subscription starting from Jan 2008 up until now...then you will have them all... and in Dec you can renew for Jan 2009. Bee Culture I bet would do the same if you really wanted...

Start putting together your hardware now...supplies get tight in the spring. Also want to look at the different suppliers for bee packages or contact a beek in your area about picking up a nuc in the spring...I would advise 2 like many here.

Welcome and we are all pulling for you to live until you get at least one honey crop.

Start buying you supplies now. I started this year and ran into a cutout and the supplies were way on backorder. I found someone to let me borrow some of his equiptment.

Jim, welcome to the site. I haven't found a better place to learn and share! And, I second that sds, buy now for next year, if you can! Or at least buy when things become available and don't wait for the spring rush.

Hey nice to meet you Jim. The one little bit of advice i've got is while your reading is great just remember that none of that is set in stone. Keep in mind beekeeping is about learning and the bees are smarter then you so your about to become a student. Just stay open minded and you'll do just fine plus you've selected a pretty good group to try and learn from. Just remember most of us are more then just a little crazy.

Look to buying equipment in end of November into December, year end inventory liquidation can cause prices to drop some. Welcome to the greatest hobby ever!

A great website with lots of info is http://www.bushfarms.com, it's Michael Bush's site and he's one of the moderators here.

welcome aboard jim.

and yes.. as hankdog suggest 'the girls' are not so much into following our rules...

my take is... the only stupid questions are the one's you should have asked but did not....

Welcome aboard Jim.

I would change that "getting my first hive" to "getting my first hives"..

Hi Jim

I use to come to McKee to your local beekeepers meeting(Dark honey producers) and give a talk on occasion when the late Roy Tincher was president....I think O.B. Richardson is now. They meet almost every month and always have a potluck with great food! You will find alot of help there. I will have a large number of nucs avalable next spring. Since I went to pallets 5 years ago I still have a number bottoms/tops and would fix up a complete one story hive If you want. Would make honey next year providing we have a flow! I also would suggest you get two hives. I live 20 minutes west of Berea(about 45 minutes from you). If interested give me a call. (859)-304-3103. Now read those books!
    Rick

Suttonbeeman, I knew Roy when i was a boy. And yes i am very interested I will get in contact with you soon. Thank you. I would be getting several hives if I could just talk my "significant other" into it. She can be rather stubborn at times. Maybe that is why i am interested in beekeeeping. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by JIm in Annville View Post
    Suttonbeeman, I knew Roy when i was a boy. And yes i am very interested I will get in contact with you soon. Thank you. I would be getting several hives if I could just talk my "significant other" into it. She can be rather stubborn at times. Maybe that is why i am interested in beekeeeping. LOL
    The reason for at least 2 hives, is having a frame of reference should something go wrong with one or the other. (you have a comparison)

I started off this year very late with only one hive and i find myself wishing i had purchased 2 right off. Now is too late for a hive to build strong, so i am working on building this one to over winter, then in spring i will likely be starting from a package, or possibly another hive from the same person.

>>>>I would be getting several hives if I could just talk my "significant other" into it.>>>> just remember it's for the good of the bees, and if they get to testy you can always re-queen (not necessarily the hive ) Just kidding, welcome aboard !