Default Honey Supers and APIGUARD

I've a got an Italian colony in a double deep setup that I would like to leave with an extra shallow super of honey due to our winters up here. My question is if I administer APIGUARD with out pulling that super, will the frames inside it be forever lost for human safe honey production?

I guess I could pull the super, apply the APIGUARD, then reinstall after it's all done with. It just seems like it might be more work and more aggravation to the bees then necessary.

Also, what's the thoughts on feeding while the APIGUARD is on? I would be using a top feeder. I was curious if it was a waste of time or if the bees just continued business as usual while being treated.

Thanks,

K

The problem is apiguard will caused the wax in the super to smell like listerine and would influence the taste of any future honey in those frames.
    Fannbee

Quote Originally Posted by FANNBEE View Post
    The problem is apiguard will caused the wax in the super to smell like listerine and would influence the taste of any future honey in those frames.
    What? If that is so than apiguard is useless at least for me. How do you know this? Experience or heard somewhere?
    "Do nothing. Time is too precious to waste." Buddha

Quote Originally Posted by FANNBEE View Post
    I had heard that but I had also heard that it went away after a while.

I did find out that feeding is hit or miss, some colonies will feed, others will not.

K

You want the Apiguard down by the brood, pull the super and reinstall.

Hunh. I don't smell it in any of my frames (brood or otherwise) and certainly not in the honey from those colonies. But then I don't treat with supers on either.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Brewcat View Post
    Hunh. I don't smell it in any of my frames (brood or otherwise) and certainly not in the honey from those colonies. But then I don't treat with supers on either.
    The smell faded very quickly in mine too. I fed some thymolated syrup this spring, and that faded once I stopped also.