Hybrid View

Default 7th Annual Mead Day

I never heard of this before, but apparently today (8-02-08) is the 7th annual Mead Day. A special recipe is below supposedly for this special day. Not being in raspberry country or cherry country or any fruit country for that matter, I went to the grocery store for the ingredients and came home with a 12 pack of beer instead. Ingredients would cost several $$/bottle or so locally, not counting any value for my award-winning honey!

Bill Pfeiffer Commorative aka Y2K Commerative recipe

> 8# Raspberries
    > 10 # Tart Cherries
    > 18-20# Honey
    > 3 packages (why 3???) Lalvin B-1122 yeast
    > 1-3/4 teaspoon DAP
    > 1-1/4 teaspoon Pectic Enzyme

Mix honey and 1 gal (or more) water thoroughly, then cover the fruit with the honey/water. Add water to 6 gal. After 12 hours, add 1 tsp. DAP; 3 days later add rest of DAP & Pectic Enzyme. Leave on fruit for 28 days, rack, rack again at your preferred interval (some 'experts' recommend 3 month intervals).

If anyone can afford to make this recipe (or feels sorry for me and wants to send some berries & cherries), let me know how it turns out. Sounds tasty so I just might try a gallon batch instead.

hey. yeah i saw that too. the cherries wouldn't have been a problem last month. most people around here wouldn't know what raspberries looks like. i thought i would just make what i wanted to. the guy that submitted the recipe wrote "the complete mead maker", i think he always uses more than one packet
    "Any fool can learn, the trick is to understand - Einstein"

I have The Compleat Meadmaker and don't recall reading why you would want or need to use more than one packet for just a 5 gal. batch. But, then I don't recall a lot of things anymore! A little research is needed maybe this winter when I have time on my hands.

It is common to use more then packet of yeast in high sugar content meads. Faster and better primary fermentation

hey andrew. isn't it because too high of a sugar content, can be too much for the yeast. kind of like putting a tomato plant in pure liquid manure, too much too fast.
    "Any fool can learn, the trick is to understand - Einstein"

yep, that also