Thread: when to feed

Default when to feed

I'm new to beekeeping and am wondering when people start feeding the bees in the fall. I live in the Pacific Northwest, Tacoma.

Wondering if it would be soon or in September?

First thing a newbee should always do is join a local beekeeping group. Beekeeping habits and nectar flows are different in all parts of the world so getting someone who knows what usually happens within 100 miles of your hives is the only way to go. They ususaly meet once a month and the dues are quite cheap for all the knowledge you get in return.

OK now for my generic answer: watch the entrance of the hive, are they bringing pollen in? check the hive do they have stores of honey that look fresh? If you dont see these things then feed, feed, and then feed some more. But remember to feed with a hive top feeder or division board feeder and if the colonie does not have big numbers of bees put on an entrance reducer or screen to help keep away robbers.

Thats my 3 cents,
    Richard
    6 Hives
    Crescent City, FL

Default Feeding

Shelley:

You can start feeding soon, providing you've taken the honey off. We're going to start feeding in earnest starting next week.

Jean-Marc

Default feeding

thank you for your information. It helps me a lot. They are bringing in pollen well and do have fresh honey. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jean-marc View Post
    Shelley:

We're going to start feeding in earnest starting next week.

Jean-Marc
    So...is it a given that you will feed every year regardless?

JT

Smile Feeding

The feeding of bees has a purpose in their management.
    Feeding medicated syrup.
    Feeding for winter weight.
    Feeding to increase the population.
    Feeding for and the list goes on and on
    Regards,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

And the best phrase in the world is,

NOT HAVING TO FEED.

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    And the best phrase in the world is,

NOT HAVING TO FEED.
    That's the key. Feeding is NOT a "requirement", it's something you do when they are light on stores heading into winter.

And I agree with akaneo: get involved with a local beekeeping club. There is a lot of value in being connected with other nearby beekeepers.

I agree with Bees4U. There should always be a reason you are feeding.

Think about it for a minute first. Ask your self - "What am I trying to accomplish here?"

Another way to think about it is to ask yourself - "When will I know I am done feeding?" If you ask yourself that question, then you'll know why you are feeding AND when you are done.

I see a lot of folks on the list are newbies, and are feeding because that is what they were told to do, but have no idea when they are done feeding.

If you get involved with other beeks in your area, you'll get an idea of what things to look for in a fall hive. How many frames, how much it should weigh etc. then you'll have a clear picture of whether they need food or something else, or if they are OK and you are done.

I am lucky, here in FL I can raise bees in one deep only and in the fall I can take all of their honey and just feed them a little bit until the spring flow gets started. Our fall flow of goldenrod and aster doesn't quit until mid Nov and We have maples in bloom at Christmas. Other spring plants are in bloom in the swampy areas in Jan and Feb. Our main flow is citrus and it starts in mid Fed to March 1 and runs into early April. This is swarm season in FL - MARCH - things are a bit different here than where you live.
    Troy