Default Lessons not learned

I thought I'd learned this lesson before, but I guess I needed a refresher.

I was out checking to be sure my queens had emerged and were resident - but I got called away for a short - urgent need back at the house. I had just pulled the frame with the queen cell mounted on it and I am fairly certain I saw the emerged virgin queen, but when I got the call from the house I set the side of this frame on the ground and the other end against the front of the hive. When I came back there were two large toads stationed about four inches away from the frame and were taking turns snatching bees from the frame with their tongues. I quickly snatched the frame from their reach and noticed that the virgin was not present, and about half of the initial quantity of young bees was also absent from this frame. Note to self: never rest frames on the ground if you are not going to be present to defend them. :mad:
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

ROTFL......... Sorry I know it probably wasn't funny to you but just the picture in my mind of those two fat toads taking advantage of your absence was hilarious.

Last year I had to relocate over 100 toads. So in the off season when the toads weren't active I changed all my hives to screened bottom boards and upper entrances so when the toads returned they would have much more difficulty accessing bees to snack on. This season the toads have returned and have had a greatly reduced impact on the populations of my hives. They do gather up any dead bees and bees that come into their range, consolidating them into toad turds.

But I believe tonight I will re-initiate my toad relocation program. This morning I was squatting down next to a hive, with a comb in my hands, when three toads came up between my legs and started snatching bees from the comb in my hands - they've gotta go. :mad:
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 08-04-2008 at 07:59 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Deja vu
    If it isn't broken, don't try to fix it. If you build it, they will fill it.