Thread: New Kelly Frame

Default New Kelly Frame

Has anyone tried the new frames from Kelly. They have grooved bottom and end bars with a slotted top. Just slide foundation in from top and its in a grove all the way around.

http://go.netgrab.com/secure/kelleys...sp?product=266

The only thing I wonder about is the top slot. SHB just love to hide in these grooves. I am thinking about getting some for medium supers.

Haven't tried them yet, but most of our stuff is Kelley brand. I think they'll propolize those gaps sooner or later, but can't prove the theory.

My first thought was "nice idea".
    My second thought was, it might make it difficult for those that cross wire frames.

I'll stick with my crimp wired foundation and wedge top frames. Although my friends are really trying to sway me towards the plastic frames.

They show using crimp wire foundation w/o hooks. And since the foundation is in the end bar grooves I think you can get away w/o any cross wires especially in medium and shallow frames.

I have been really thinking about the plastic frames but hate to get stuck with something I will regret.

Johnny

I didn't think about the wiring Jeff what hit me was the cost. It might be faster for commercial beeks but I would rather tack on the wedge and save $.50 or so per frame.

As it stands I need a second job to pay for my "hobbie" as it is lol

Richard
    6 Hives
    Crescent City, FL

100 for $67.00 is only 67 cents each. Thats only 4 cents higher than their standard frame.

Johnny

I don't buy in that big of a quantaty, I was talking about the 10 for $12 thats $1.20 each compared to 10 for $9 thats $.90 per frame, so only a differance of $.30 per frame not $.50 I miss spoke. But 100 wedge type frames are $63 so still save by nailing the wedge IMO.

Also I wonder how these will hold up to extracting?

Richard
    6 Hives
    Crescent City, FL

These split top frames are ideal for cut comb honey. I find it is easier to get the foundation to hang straight in the frames when using these.

It looks like a great design. The DE hives I used to have had frames like that except for the split top. They had the groove on the sides, top and bottom. It holds the foundation much straighter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF