Default combining swarm with possable laying worker hive

Got a call for swarm that is now a open hive that set up under a deck. I have a hive that seems to have a laying worker in it. could I add this cutout to the laying worker hive using newspaper and will the laying worker hive except them or will they kill the new queen?

No No No
    Curtis

No, the layers workers will just kill your good queen. Don't combine them. Laying workers are seldom worth the trouble.

I've learned from my previous mistakes. If they go so far as to have laying workers, just toss them out during the day and reuse the equipment. If the bees have another hive nearby, the non-layers will beg entrance. If a flow is on there will be little fighting.

If it is during a dearth, then it is a bit harder. I spray all the workers with sugar water laced with HBH first - my theory is that they will more easily gain entrance next door if they smell good and have something to offer. If I were doing an inspection of the neighboring hive, I'd spray all of them with the sugar HBH solution too. Then all bees will smell the same and they will mingle pretty well.

You can split them out again a couple weeks later if other conditions look good for a split.
    Troy

thanks thats what i will do. How far do i need to be to do the shake out 50 yard ok.

Yeah, I've done the shake outs at only 25 feet and had good results.

The further the better, but 50 yds will be fine.
    Troy

I have a friend, who shakes them right in front of the Queen rite hive. He waits about 5 min. and stomps the ones that have not gone in the Queen rite hive. He has done it this way for years and never had a problem.
    Curtis

I've always put my laying workers on a STRONG hive, they fix the problem real quick.

I think you can, but only if you seperate them for about a week with a double screen board. Then combine them with newspaper. That way their scents mingle and they can become accustomed to each other first.

But then again I've not tried this in particular.

Interestingly, there have been at least one study(forgive me, it was in the ABJ a year or two ago by Wyatt M.) done that showed that laying workers will in fact fly in and out of a hive, and by inference will have no problem getting back into a hive.

But if it works to combine...hey, who's complaining? -rick

I think you can, but only if you seperate them for about a week with a double screen board. Then combine them with newspaper. That way their scents mingle and they can become accustomed to each other first.
    I've recently had success putting the laying worker chamber on a strong hive above a double screen for a few days, then switching that double screen to a single screen so the bees can exchange saliva,...queen phermone. Then after a week I shook the LW bees out onto ramp at entrance of the queenright hive below,...they went in & combined with little or no fighting & the queen is safe. Maybe the few bees that I saw getting the heav-ho were the laying workers.