Default sting free gloves

Does anyone know of any gloves that are "sting free" I have recently become allergic to my ladies and dont want to get rid of the , i just want to be more cautious. also a "sting free suit" that breathes a little better than my tyvek suit would be nice too. I would also like to keep the price from going to high on the suit if I can help it.

Default Orange Gloves at Home Depot

I use the orange rubber gloves from home depot - found in the paint dept. I started using them because they give more feeling/dextarity than the old cloth/leather gloves. You can also throw them out when they become to old and/or sticky from propolis. An added bonus is I have found them to be sting proof to date (This is the second season I am using them). If I remember correctly they are $3 or $4 per pair. Also, they are lined with a thin layer of foam so your hands do not sweat like they do in nitrile gloves.

First get an epi-pen or equivalent, I'm sure you're on it. Unfortunately expense and breathability are inversely proportional to each other in jackets as are stingproof and comfortable; the heavier the canvas the more sting resistant, all the way up to Magnet-Man's mesh suits which are very breathable and also very stingproof. If you want, wear something puffy like a fleece shirt under a bee jacket. But wow would that be hot. If your allergy truly isn't going to stop you from keeping bees (it wouldn't for me either), save up for something that will protect you very well but also not punish you for suiting up.
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

if money wasnt a problem what would be the suit and gloves of choice maybe al just have to save up for next year.

If you are genuinely allergic the only thing to do is quit beekeeping. If you're keeping bees you're going to get stung. If you're allergic its life and death.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

even with the best bee suit and gloves you are going to get stung. If you are allergic to bees the best thing to do is get out. I havent worked a hive yet that was worth dieing over. But If you have found that hive I would suggest getting the best bee suit money can buy. By a good suit I am talking several steps above the tyvek a few steps above a dadant. You got to got to the top. Get a Golden bee suit or a Ultra breeze your going to drop a few hundred dollars on the suit. But what is your life worth to you. Sure would hate to see anyone laying on the ground there throat swelling shut thinking man I wish I had listened to ole rednecked riverrat and bought a better suit.

The best in sting resistant gloves I have found are the blue chemical resistant gloves found in the paint section at Lowes. At about $5 a pair they will out last their usefulness, when they get stanky smelling on the inside you must throw them away. Although they are a lined glove, any rubber glove when reused long enough will start growing bacteria and lead to problems. I have started wearing an ultra thin inspectors cotton glove inside for this reason. The inspectors glove, (.33), I wear a couple of times then throw it away, making the rubber glove last longer. Lysol is my friend. Also roll the cuffs back so they can dry out between uses.

I use them all the time when doing hard bee work especially removals. I have seen them covered with stingers and the worst I have received is a half sting, the kind you know it's there but did not get a good dose of venom.

I will have to say that if you are truly allergic and the keeping of bees is a life and death matter, get out. Sorry.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam

Ow. Nitrile gloves are not sting proof. I usually don't wear gloves, but read on this board about the nitrile ones and decided to try them. First sting of the year. Ow.
    Last edited by knadai; 08-03-2008 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Found thread in question.
    Kevin
    Milton Township, Michigan (near South Bend, Indiana)

Yes I am truly allergic but from what the doctors say there are many levels of allergy I have never had a hard time breathing through one of these events but I have broken out in hives and was taken to the hospital once. My allergist is sending me for sting therapy he says when I'm done that I will be able to handle the equivalent(?) to two stings without a reaction. They have not done enough testing to decide if they could continue the treatment and increase my stings if it would have anymore effect. there what I am trying to do is limit the number of stings I am likley to recieve at any given time. thanks to everyone's for there concern and I hope that this clears some of the confusion. -jeff

P.S. and I do carry with me to my Bee yards 2 epi pens, if I forget the pens I dont work the bees I do enjoy working with them but its not worth my life.
    Last edited by jeff123fish; 08-04-2008 at 06:54 PM. Reason: forgot to add something

Quote Originally Posted by jeff123fish View Post
    and I do carry with me to my Bee yards 2 epi pens, if I forget the pens I dont work the bees I do enjoy working with them but its not worth my life.
    I'm sad to say, in my opinion, you need a different hobby.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards