Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What size is this bottle?

I've recently bought some Dadant 16 oz M01156 Inverted Plastic Jars. When I filled some I was struck they seems a little bigger than the other type I have. I weighed some and they appear to hold 500 grams which isn't the same as 16 oz (454 grams). :confused:

Am I going crazy, or have I missed something?
    http://bees-on-the-net.com/bs
    Bees give me a buzz!

Did they finally convert to Metric?

Frankly I hope so, this stupid English system we use is crazy.

GO METRIC!!!!!
    Troy

Fluid ounces...

Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    GO METRIC!!!!!
    DOWN WITH METRICS, WE DON'T WANT NO FOREIGN RULERS

Just kidding, I agree completely. I hate converting back and forth, wish we would go all metric too and be done with it.
    Sheri

Default OMG! What have you done!

Did they finally convert to Metric?

Frankly I hope so, this stupid English system we use is crazy.

GO METRIC!!!!!
    Leaving aside the fact that we don't actually use the same system as the old England one (an English pint is 25% bigger than a US one, which make a British pint of beer AT LEAST 25% better)

Have you and idea how large a can-of-worms has just been opened? I bet it's a kilo can (a kilogram is 1,000 grams, a kilobyte is 1,024 bytes) or maybe more!
    Bees give me a buzz!

geoffb:
    (an English pint is 25% bigger than a US one,
    You see that is a fine example of how silly our system is.

Our pint is different from their pint? Does that make their pint better than our pint?

Whose pint shall we use?

No, this is all too confusing. Let's all just go metric and move on. 10 digits, 10 units or multiples thereof - it is so easy.
    Troy

geoffb:

Whose pint shall we use?
    For beer we should use the UK pint, or perhaps a litre of beer would be even better.
    Bees give me a buzz!

Hmm...do your bottles allow for more headroom? I suppose you don't want to leave too much room, that looks bad.

I say we keep our current system. Do you see what they charge for gas in Canada? Looks cheap but they are getting charged for about 1/4 of one of our units. The tax man ...uh I mean the lawmakers will take advantage of that!!! Besides, we'd have to convert all of our vehicles over...mine only takes gas in gallons.

-rick

I tell you what - after you convert your car to take gas in liters, you will get a much more accurate gas guage too.

I used to travel to Germany a lot and over there you can look at you gas guage and see that it is on 12 liters and you have a 65 liter tank, so you know before you start pumping the bleifrei (lead free) that you'll need 65-12=53 liters of fuel. When you are paying Germany's high fuel prices, it is good to know in advance how much it will take.

I don't know why an american car can't have an accurate gas guage. We have a clue (1/4 tank etc), but no numbers at all. If you don't know how big the tank is, you have no idea how much it will take to fill it back up. That is just dumb to me.
    Troy

Big Grin

geoffb:

You see that is a fine example of how silly our system is.

Our pint is different from their pint? Does that make their pint better than our pint?

Whose pint shall we use?

No, this is all too confusing. Let's all just go metric and move on. 10 digits, 10 units or multiples thereof - it is so easy.
    Scrapfe:
    Metric System my…foot. I can prove that God didn’t intend for man to use the metric system! …If he did there would only be 10 apostles.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Well people hate change Troy. I was using metric in the military ages ago...

But you wouldn't know how much they hate change if you listen to politics lately. Change! Change! Change! Ok...lets start by converting to the metric system, limiting Congressional members to two terms and eliminating any outside contributions to elected officials. Now thats change I can live with. Man did this go off topic or what?

Easy... just call Dadant and ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrapfe View Post
    Scrapfe:
    Metric System my…foot. I can prove that God didn’t intend for man to use the metric system! …If he did there would only be 10 apostles.
    Ahh, but the fingers and toes!!

As for beer, what's wrong with growlers!!? Puts pints of any size to shame!

Ahh, but those 1 Liter steins in Germany...... Now THAT's a mug of beer.

I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it.
    Troy

Smile

"Am I going crazy, or have I missed something". --geoffkb.

Probably,....................both as far as I have read.

What? Are you concerned/worried about how much to charge for the extra ounce or grams?

"Easy..just call Dadant and ask". - Eaglerock. NOW that sounds,..reasonable/sensible.

I can't believe this,.. Discussion? over a,...........#6 bottle!!
    Last edited by Oldbee; 08-04-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Default The answer from Dadant.

I emailed Dadant and they said, "All containers have a built in overflow. When filled above the base of the neck/fill line you will run over the 1 lb mark."

I emailed them again, "Thank you for you reply, but I think you've missed the point. I'm well aware that a 1 lb honey jar holds 16oz of honey when correctly filled to the base of the neck, leaving a small space above.

Please see the attached photo of two jars, your M01151 on the left and M01154 on the right. Each has the same quantity of honey, each weighs 17oz including the jar.

You will notice the M01154 has more than the usual space."

After a long pause, and a reminder from me they said, "We apologize for the delay in getting back to you. We were waiting on a reply from the supplier. These containers have a built in overflow of 1.5oz. We will make corrections in the upcoming 2009 catalog. Thank you for pointing this out."

Comments please?
    Bees give me a buzz!

Quote Originally Posted by geoffkb View Post
    Am I going crazy, or have I missed something?
    Did you fill them up completely? You should have left some air space. You may want to get a small digital scale to use when filling your containers, so you won't end up giving away too much honey. Or you could always change your labels to account for the correct weight in the full container. I'd get a scale.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Default fluid oz. vs honey

I get my glass jars at LA Honey Co. because there is no tax in Ca. I like the 16 oz. ovals but also use a 1 lb round jar with a wide mouth for spun honey.
    Seems the mayonaise looking jar measures fluid oz--- not honey wieght. The ovals are ready made for honey so actual wieght is correct. The round ones hold measurably more honey. I could have been fooled by the discrepency.
    When the topic is beer--are there any honey beers you like?
    BBZZZZZ

I propose that we stop measure in fluid ounces and instead, measure by distance. And, in that vein, I believe that we should use barleycorns as the preferred standard!!!
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Default The bed bug letter!

[QUOTE=geoffkb;349920]I emailed Dadant and they said, "All containers have a built in overflow. When filled above the base of the neck/fill line you will run over the 1 lb mark."

IMHO, it sounds like corperate speak to me. I believe some one on their end made a booboo and are not man enough to say, “I am at fault.” Those bottles are likely miss labeled/packed/boxed etc. I would say it is the manufacture’s fault. You ordered 1-pound right? And you received 1/2 liter. What Say You? What is written on the case?

You got a classic bed bug letter. But don't be hard or your supplier, they likely got one too.
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast