Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Best bee colour of your choice?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
The best coloured bees according to me is Egyptian honey bees- bright orange bands with one or two silvery black end bands. great look

The second one for me is the Cordovan italians- great look with the yellow colour.

The third one is Carniolans-Great look with the black and white bands(white bands due to the hair.

Which bees do you think is the best with colour? please post your replies

#2 ·
I really don't know how to answer that. I have so many mutts and love them all regardless of color! I will say that an Italian golden queen is a beautiful sight, but then so are the russians, carni's etc.:)

I also like those big fat green bumble bees that sound like a 747 when they fly bye!:D

#6 · (Edited)
I almost think that every honey bee has distinct markings that distinguish it from any other bee; much like,...........snowflakes. This is from observation and looking at photos of my honey bees. If I could take a photo of 100 bees from one of my hives, I'll bet I would see,...75 variations in,...color, banding, length of body, etc,. This may depend on the 'age' of the individual bee, of course.

If you look at the myriad of insects and the VERY fine details that distinguish a species [in keying them out] it's amazing.

What do 'Egyptian honey bees' look like?

From an article in the June, 2008 American Bee Journal: "In our selection for queen reproduction, [survival] COLOR or uniformity receives no consideration".

J-Bees: Your photo is,..EXTREMELY! out of focus and,..fuzzy! Is it a,..'radioactive',......bee??

#10 · (Edited)
I prefer the color of the bees that fill the most supers, swarm the least, don't succumb to mites, and control AHB.

Having said that, this year I tried 15 cordovan italians from Koehnan's and they have not only done well, but they sure are pretty. In the heat when they beard up it is like a bright orange-yellow shimmering carpet of bees. It is almost a shame to increase ventilation and let them go back inside.

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.