Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ah Louie just give up the recipe,fishing has been fun.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by BjornBee View Post
    I don't see any
    Your right Bjorn, you don't see anything.

Quote Originally Posted by high rate of speed View Post
    Ah Louie just give up the recipe,fishing has been fun.
    Ya, lou even the bee business needs a Jerry Springer.

Default Almond Pollination 2009 rates.

Does anyone want to make a prediction?

8 frame average $ 169 to $177.00
    The inspection is done without smoke and favorable temps.
    Comments are welcomed.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I have a feeling that fuel is going to play a key role in 2009. I think it will keep some of the far east guys out of the game this year which may drive up prices as a shortage will occur along with guys wanting to cover their fuel costs from closer states.

I still think its a little early to try and nail down a price....but I would bet my wooden nickel that your going to be in the ball park with your prices.

I don't see any lost contracts due to the "freebee" types who offer colonies for free pollination. Yes, they pick up the farm that wants two or four, but the farms that want 12, 25 or 100, want more than the unreliable local hobbyist who never has enough bees come spring.
    I hesitate to speak for Keith, Tom or HRS but I think they are not talking about local hobbyists, but migrators needing to place colonies at any cost or free, just to have a place to set them.
    Here in Wisconsin there are some bringing in cranberry bees at way below going rates, it happens all over. I know a couple beeks who lost contracts this way. It wasn't local hobbyists, who make little impact, but larger operators who maybe weren't even aware of market prices.

And this site is great! ........
    Yes, I think it is too. It is gratifying that there has been no incivility between hobbyists, sideliners and commercial, and I hope it stays that way.
    Sheri

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK and Sheri View Post
    I hesitate to speak for Keith, Tom or HRS but I think they are not talking about local hobbyistsSheri
    Feel free to jump in any time Sheri,

Old Bjorn is just once again, showing us what little he knows.

If he was closer, I would help him take the bulletts out of his gun so he would quit shooting himself in the foot.

i've been wrong before but i would say rouskies are a referance to eastern european imigrants. they aren't necesarily hobbiest. like everything in beekeeping it's a local thing. at least i hope it's local, if not the whole of north americas been flooded. i've had to compete with immigrants doing what i do for years. who ever makes the entry quotas doesn't mow lawns, plant row crops or keep bees
    all that is gold does not glitter

Just for you Keith, I've changed my signature. Hope you like it.

So its not hobbyists. Its other commercial guys. Maybe they are so competitive, due to not sitting on beesource chatting all the time...

I'll chalk you up for one who thinks that many problems (spread of nosema, mites, and afb) are due to migratory pollination operations. I know in the past, I have been shouted down in mentioning items like this. Its a little different than my "gripe" as I have experience with many of them over-medicating. But if your suggesting that they are still spreading these things on levels that its worth mentioning here, than its going to be a bigger issue than I thought.

And at your convenience, please refrain from your less than mature comments about "I don't see" references and "what little he knows". I think my three year old could make a comeback comment stronger than those.... But if it makes you feel better...Ouch, boy Keith that was a slam!....I guess I'll refrain from jumping in next time. I am so ashamed of not knowing what a "rouskie" was, that I will hide my head, and doubt myself.....

I'm not one to call people by code name or hidden labels of some type. So tell me, why not just call them Migratory beekeepers? Why call them rouskies?

Hey Bjorn,

Feel free to jump in any time.

what I was saying ( rouskies) are locals .

They will go into a pollination area and give the grower money to put the bees in, yes you heard me right, I know that sounds crazy but it is happening.They don't speak the lanuage well and feel if they pay they will have a better chance of getting the spots to put bees.

So I was, regardless of comments about not knowing, dead on in my comments about locals. They are not migratory, not European immigrants, etc.

No need to repeat my comments on those who provide pollination services to commercial operations for little more than a place to keep bees, and even pay cash or a box of honey to say "Thank-You!". I have ranted about this a number of times. I usually call them things too, but not to be repeated here. So, I'll stick with rouskies.

I could imagine that in California, things are much tighter for even a simple location. Here, beekeepers, or "rouskies", are stupid enough to think commercial farms are a great place to have hives for honey. So it's not a competitive thing for lack of sites (as there are many), as much as its an ignorance thing. If it were not for the pollination fee being PAID by the FARMER, I would not go close to operations that cut and mow, spray, and generally have poor honey producing sites.

Default The going rate

From what I can read between the lines, with long time clients who are fairly open with me, there is still a great deal of suspicion that ccd and hard times in bees is some kind of PR campaign to continue to raise prices. All of the costs in almond farming have risen dramatically and managers are trying hard to put a cap on things. They will continue to delay commitments and shop around as long as they have the least suspicion that you're overpriced. Growers all talk among themselves, just like us. Whenever the low ballers come in with their quotes, word travels fast. In 2006 there was a fair shortage of bees. Until the growers feel that pinch again, they will continue to vigorously resist price increase for pollination.

But it's pretty tough to keep your numbers up isn't it?

There is always a home for quality bees. Be sure to get a quality price. Nowadays that often means holding out and sticking to your guns, with all of the resultant uncertainty and stress.

I think Ernie is close but it could go either way from his prediction IMO.

Thanks for all the information on this post. Just to clarify, I am not trying to out bid another person for a contract. From the information I recieved I dont think he even rents bees yet. It is something I was told that he just wanted to start. I am pretty sure he was asking to try to get it done free. But I am not interested in that. That is why I ask this question, I would like to offer this service in the future in our local community and to individual framers that want a couple of hives, but I am not going to do it for nothing (I would even need to buy a trailor). With all that being said, I just couldn't find a price per hive, for pollination, is it all over the board varing from person to person? I want to make some profit, but not be overpriced. Thanks, Daniel

[QUOTE=Tom G. Laury;340750] In 2006 there was a fair shortage of bees.

Gee thats awful funny we still had 2000 hives availiable.There is always a shortage of bees,but not boxes.

Default 2000 available

Really? Didn't get placed? What happened?

Many keepers came to california with no contracts.I wasnt going to put bees in for a $100 a hive.In our area it was almost like an auction for bees.Seems it always is with the rouskies around.

Default Bee auction

Sorry about that. Nothing quite like a desperate beekeeper. Unless it's a panicked grower at bloom. It's not like it used to be is it. I can tell when people are ashamed of what they've done because they start telling lies.

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    because they start telling lies.
    I thought that was saved for tha CSBA meeting.

Wink

No, no way;...really?

Big Grin Lies

Around here we call that winter honey. You know that extra poundeage you get between the time you shut the extractors off and those winter conventions. Some years it can amount to considerable tonnage, depending of course on your hive counts.

Jean-Marc

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast