Default 2 Frame Mating Nucs For Splits

Next year i would like to expand quite a bit and i have a boomer hive this year, so i think next year i wil split it using 2 frame mating nucs and then when the queen gets back from her mating flights move them into full size boxes. I plan on getting queen cells from my big hive next year and then moving them into the splits and shake in a few bees.

So now the questions:

What should the 2 frames consist of brood or honey or both?

Will they put up enough stores for the winter time to live through?

What would be the best time to do this split?

Should i move them away from the other hive when i split, and how far away?

Do you think this will work?

Heres some pictures of the nucs, i have 3, 2 frame nuc boxes and 1, 3 frame nuc box:
    This is a picture of the 2 frame nucs.

Here is the entrance on the 2 framers.

Here is the 2 frame nucs from the top, showing the divider boards so the bees do not combine into each other.

Here is a picture of the 2 frame nucs with the top divider boards removed.

Here is the 3 frame nucs with top divider boards off.

Here is the 3 frame nucs with divider boards on.

[QUOTE=JordanM;339929]Next year i would like to expand quite a bit and i have a boomer hive this year, so i think next year i wil split it using 2 frame mating nucs and then when the queen gets back from her mating flights move them into full size boxes. I plan on getting queen cells from my big hive next year and then moving them into the splits and shake in a few bees.

So now the questions:
    What should the 2 frames consist of brood or honey or both?
    Will they put up enough stores for the winter time to live through?
    What would be the best time to do this split?
    Should i move them away from the other hive when i split, and how far away?
    Do you think this will work?

YES it will work, but you should also do a search on overwintering nucs on BEESOURCE and seriously consider that method as well. We are trying it here in Northern VA, and it is being done in Vermont, CT. and lots of other places. It might be just on the edge of making this work this year, not sure. Also look at L.Conner's Increase Essentials and recent articles in Bee Culture. If next Spring, I would think you need brood AND honey. Take a look at Michael Bush's web site for more info.
    karla

ya, i was planning on doing it next spring i dont really feel like taking a chance of them dying. So spring would be the best time to do this? And should i move it from the original hive when i split next year?

early summer 2 framers may not build up to be much more than a nuc by winter

so you may still have to overwinter nucs.

1 frame honey/pollen and 1 frame brood
    the foragers (older bees) will drift back to original hive so you either have to shake in extra nurse bees (from brood frame) or move the nucs 2+ miles so they can't find their way back. I try to put grass in front of the entrance to trigger reorientation

I would not move a 2 framer into a full hive body, maybe your goal should be to move them into boxes split in half, some may be able to move out of these into full boxes, others will possibly still be nucs (1 box with divider making 2 nucs) when winter rolls around

if you want full hives by the winter, you should go with at least 2 frames brood, 2 honey for more of a standard nuc.

I have seen some 2 framers build up but on the most part they are much slower than a 3 or 4 framer in a standard (4-5-6 frame) nuc box

this is also climate dependent I am in the PNW

I give each nuc a frame of brood and a frame of honey.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for everyones responses.