Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Herbs and Mints

10K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  dragonfly 
#1 ·
What I have observed over the past 6 years is that honeybees prefer herbs and mints to anything else I have growing in the property. I've spent so much money on seeds for bee forage plants that it's ridiculous, but the mints and herbs seem to fill the bill. Anyone else have this experience?

#2 ·
Anyone else have this experience?
I tend to let them have the wild peppermint (Mentha piperita) down near the stream edge since if I don't contain the mint by submerging just a pot of it into my garden, very soon it takes over the whole garden bed! The bees will climb all over the peppermint very soon -- it is late in blooming this year -- there is a lot of it bordering the trout stream.

MM

#4 ·
I only have a few lavender plants and they seem to get more visits from the bumble bees, but I do see honey bees on them. They do seem to like thyme and other mint family plants.
If you want to plant something inexpensive, try a large patch of buckwheat. It's fairly tall and has nice white flowers and is very attractive to the honeybees. Nectar flow is in the morning. You can plant it a couple of times during the growing season.

#6 ·
Let's see... here, the bees like to work the lavendar, thyme, wild mint, borage (they absolutely love borage), Texas sage and regular sage, oregano, lemon balm, basil, garlic and onion flowers, catnip, and not an herb or a mint- wild milkweed flowers.

#7 ·
I live in town. And spread out humming bird mix that I got at Wal Mart. Bees worked it for about 2 weeks 3 weeks ago. But only would work one particular flower. And these were not my bees. Mine are 10 miles out in the country. These were darker in color. Must have been a feral hive. They were working them hard though. I will pull the container out and research all the flower mixes in it and let you know what flower it was.

What part of Texas do you live in Dragon?

#8 ·
I feel pretty lucky that all of the following grow wild either in the yard or along the other side of our street which has a river and no houses: dandelions, willow, maple, basswood, creeping charlie, sweet white clover, wild thyme, sumac, milkweed, japanese knotweed, goldenrod, crabapple. I also attract lots of bees to the buckwheat mentioned above and collards, which I've been pushing beekeepers to grow. Collards are great healthy greens steamed, in soups, and stuffed like cabbage. Second year plants are tall and look pretty scattered throughout the garden, produce yellow flowers and seed pods which you can save for planting the following year.

#9 ·
WooHoo! I'mma gonna plant me an Herb Garden!

Since the bees like the mints and other herbs so well, I'm wondering if bees that have a good supply of those to work for nectar and pollen might have less problems with varroa? ... Just a stray thought that passed thru my mind.
:D

#11 ·
Since the bees like the mints and other herbs so well, I'm wondering if bees that have a good supply of those to work for nectar and pollen might have less problems with varroa? ... Just a stray thought that passed thru my mind.
:D
If you had an adequate supply of thyme, mint, or flowers that have lemon extract of some kind, maybe. But I think it would take lots and lots of it to affect anything. Maybe I'm wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.