Question Illinois or shallow supers?

Just starting out. When it comes time to add supers how do I know whether to use shallow supers or Illinois supers?

Which ever you choose. Illinois supers are pretty heavy but you can use them for brood boxes too.
    Thanks for your time, Beehopper

Quote Originally Posted by beehoppers View Post
    Which ever you choose. Illinois supers are pretty heavy but you can use them for brood boxes too.
    I agree with Beehoppers. While I have hundreds of shallow supers, I don't buy nor build any, any longer. I focus on Mediums or deep supers. That's just what I do.

Default watch your back

We have close to 2000 hives and my advice is watch your back. Do yourself a favor and buy shallow supers. Honey is heavy as you know and a full super is a load. If I let you load & rob honey with us one day of Illinois supers and one of shallow supers you'll know. We will rob ton truck loads of honey a day. With only a few hives it may not make a difference, but a back is a terrible thing to waste and you only have one to protect. Beekeeping is a wonderful hobby but don't hurt yourself doing it.

I would think if you pulled the heaviest frame or two out of a medium before lifting it would be pretty close to the weight of a shallow.

Lift from one side(not the front or back) with the empty spot away from you to keep the weight as close to your body as possible.

That's what I do when I have to lift a chock full deep.

Mediums work well for everything. Eight frame mediums weigh less.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeseightframemedium.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF