Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: crepe myrtle

Default Re: no bee on my crepe myrtle

Quote Originally Posted by saltcube View Post
    in athens ga. full bloom but no bees, all i have is white and thay don't care for them, on a side note thay don't like my sunflowers either what gives?
    HELLO Athens I'm just outside Athens, I have drapes and sunflower also have not seen a bee on sunflowers yet, drapes just starting to bloom.

Default Re: no bee on my crepe myrtle

Drought early bloom/nectar flow and bees are only working those that are in watered properties and then only until about mid morning. I see them buzz around the flowers a little after but I think the nectar is either dried up or minimal amount of nectar available from drought. I posted a few years back that I never see the bees on them and since then they have repeatedly made me eat my words. Makes some awful thin soup (tic).

Default Re: crepe myrtle

Quote Originally Posted by FNG View Post
    When the White ones were in bloom ( Central AL) they were covered with bees. When the red ones bloomed I didn't see any bees on them.
    On the main, with some minor exceptions, this is my experience here in Texas too; Mornings rather than mid day or evenings, and when there is nothing they prefer in bloom (read: When they are desperate for nectar).

ADDED: I looked again this morning....They are off any dark red trees and only on the pink, lavender and white colors.....And for just pollen, not working the blooms this morning.
    Last edited by Lburou; 06-27-2012 at 08:50 AM.
    Lee Burough
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I live in MYRTLE beach, and can say I have never seen bees working the myrtles in my yard. Maybe there is something else blooming that they like better.
    https://www.facebook.com/stevesbees99
    Please visit my page, Thanks

Default Re: Maybe it depends on what else is available?

I agree that it depends on what else in available. Last year, during the severe drought, the bees were all over my crape myrtles. This year, we've had a tremendous wildflower season, and I see maybe 5 or 6 bees on my Crapes. Same with my lavender. The bees used to be all over it, but I have hardly any bees foraging in my yard this year, even on the sunflowers. Why should they?!! There were countless fields of wildflowers in bloom.

Funny when I was down in Houston the bees were all over the white ones. I come back home to the DFW area the girls wont touch em
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Same thing down here in south Alabama, Tom...

Saw one bee working a pink crepe myrtle this morning, but just across the parking lot were about 15 magnolias in bloom...loaded with honeybees rolling in the blossoms.

There are always loads of bees at Lowe's in the garden area (about 12 miles from here). I was positive I would have bees everywhere I looked in my garden once I got my hives last April. I have never had so few bees in my garden, ever! So, I'm pretty sure it does depend on what's available. They aren't interested in anything I planted specifically for them.

Isn't it amazing how bees work. I have crepe myrtle around my house in NW Mississippi both pink and white. I have seen bees on it before but not in great numbers but none this year. My hives at home are surrounded by privet hedge never do I see a bee on it. I have a beeyard surrounded by golden rod, almost 70 acres, and in the 6 years I have been keeping bees last Fall was the first time I saw them work it. Bee behavior truly amazes me.

Davebcrzy, what are your bees working, can you tell?

julysun, they are working a weed that I call ironweed and sunflowers. If we don't get some rain soon, about all they will get is pollen because there will be no nector.

They were working the pink ones in my mother's yard here in KY yesterday morning. Has anyone seen them working Mimosa trees?

Very intresting article. Thanks for the link! Fascinating how nature works. My crepe myrtle is starting to bloom now and I'll be looking for those beneficial crapemyrtle aphid, Tinocallis kahawaluokalani (Kirkaldy). Thanks again!

Bees working my white Natchez crepe myrtle...

They are working my red and pink crepe myrtles for pollen here in Saint Louis MO.

There are so many Crepe Myrtles in this town They should support my bees all summer!

My bees have been all over my Crepe Myrtles! It looks like it is time to plant a few more!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12