Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Supplemental feeding.

14K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Barry 
#1 ·
I started the feeding of syrup in one gallon plastic pails with a black "O" ring style and Mann Lake 15% pollen patties.
The pail has 3 holes drilled in the cover with a 1/16' bit for slow stimulation for brood.
Any comments are welcomed.
Regards,
Ernie Lucas Apiaries.

#7 ·
Pricing

I was wondering what people were hearing on pricing for brewers yeast. Last week I got a quote from Mann Lake for $0.76 per lb. for Bee Pro in 2000 lb. totes for a truckload (44,000 Lbs.). Last year I paid $0.48 per lb. Last year Aventine brewers was I think $0.375 per lb. in truckload quantities. Anyone know of any new pricing? Also has anyone ordered syrup by the truckload lately? If so what is the pricing you are seeing. Thanks in advance for your help!

Also, Ernie don't waste your time feeding one patty at a time. Fuel is too expensive. Think about a minimum of two lbs. for every 2-3 weeks depending on the size of your hives.

#8 ·
Feeding

I am using white pails.
The 3 holes made the syrup last for about 14 days.

I opened an empty pail and some black mold was growing on the inside of the pail. I will bleach treat the mold Monday.

I will make the syrup heavier. A 2:1 syrup may prevent the mold plus perhaps some thymol.
Regards,
Ernie

#27 ·
HRS
I have the same buckets you do and I'm pretty sure I use the same size cap plug. I think my problem is I tried to drill too many lids at one time and the hole saw melted the hole alittle too big in some of the lids. Did you put the 1/16th hole in the cap plug or the lid? I drilled my holes in the cap plug, a good thing the first ones were too big so all I had to through away was a plug.
Jim

Oh by the way, I saw some of your glow in the dark bees out by Rancho Seco a couple weeks ago. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.