Default My First Cutout - Question

I did my first bee removal from an old shed. A neighbor said the bees have been there since he was a kid (He's about 40).The comb was built between the studs and completely filled the space from floor to ceiling. There were a lot of bees. I removed the sheetrock from the inside of the shed and exposed the comb. I was only able to remove about half of the comb which has all been relocated to any empty super with a lot of the bees. Most of the brood comb was in the lower half. I don't think I got the queen. I am going back to remove the rest of the comb and the bees. The owner wants to know if there is anything natural or organic that could be sprayed on the empty space to prevent any stray bees or stragglers from returning and building anew. Any thoughts or ideas?

Also there was another entrance that a small number of bees were going into about 4 feet away. There was no connection with the comb I was removing. A completely separate hive? Another queen?

maybe the original colony sent of a swarm and they set up shop nearby. Although I have read that the swarm will usually not stay near the parent colony.

I have also read that fischers beequick will work to keep the bees out. You have to make sure that you seal up the holes as best as you can.

Get the queen and you get the bees. that's how it goes.

Good luck!
    Let's BEE friends

I did a cutout from a big concrete column earlier this year and there was another colony in the next column. Good luck getting them.

I did one this summer early, on one side of the chimney. on the other side of the chimney is another colony still going strong.... maybe I will get to go and get the other colony next spring. if you can leave it open until you get the other one out, you can spray both down with pine-sol. it is toxic to the bees. so don't use it until you have them all out. then seal all openings, spray everything down, and close it back up so he can use the shed.

> The owner wants to know if there is anything natural or
    > organic that could be sprayed on the empty space to prevent
    > any stray bees or stragglers from returning and building
    > anew. Any thoughts or ideas?

Fill the space with insulation, that way even if bees find their way into the cavity the scouts will dismiss it as being unsuitable because there is no space for a nest.

Any kind of insulation will do. Though fiberglass batts are neither natural nor organic, batts work great.