Default Brood Rack/ Wire Foundation

I have always wired my frames. Even when using wire foundation. Does anyone not use wire frames when using the wire foundation. Maybe that is why they made that. I never thought about that until now. But when you don't use wire, the wax flops... not sure I like that. maybe on wire across would be better. I might stick to my old fashion ways.

IMO Stick to the old fashion ways its cheap insurance the foundation will stay straight.

Thanks... Also I keep waiting for an update that your wife has finally left...lol
    Last edited by Eaglerock; 07-27-2008 at 08:09 AM.

I am going to try one without wire.

BTW, they're not called, "Brood Racks", but rather, "frames", here in the states.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

BTW here in the US we called them Brood frames or racks for years in the 60's, 70's and 80's. If they have changed that... sorry I am old school... just what I have always called it... and also you knew what I meant...right? Thought so...lol

Ah, then it is, perhaps, just a regional dialectal idiom, or something like that.

Well, of course, I understood what you meant, though your subject calls them "Brood racks", throughout your opening post, you only refer to them as frames. I thought it was curiously interesting that you should use the word, "rack" when referring to frames. The first time I saw frames referred to as "racks" was on a slip of paper included in each case of PF 120 frames I had received recently. A slip included (apparently by the Chinese manufacturer) clearly stated that the contents were racks for use in beehives.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Well Joseph- Good name BTW... my middle name... and I was called Joe, because my dad's name was Ed too. But...if I was in trouble... it was Eddie Joe... and if it went to Edwin Joesph, I was in Deep DU DU.

I guess I should have used the name frames in the Title or Subject heading... I will get with the program soon... I am just getting back into this after being out of it for over 27- 28 years.

Many things have changed... some good some not so good... Bees didn't change... well guess they have ... I remember Midnight bees but don't see any of them... they have moved on to other hybrids...

What is/are your favorite(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Eaglerock View Post
    Well Joseph- Good name BTW... my middle name... and I was called Joe, because my dad's name was Ed too. But...if I was in trouble... it was Eddie Joe... and if it went to Edwin Joesph, I was in Deep DU DU.

I guess I should have used the name frames in the Title or Subject heading... I will get with the program soon... I am just getting back into this after being out of it for over 27- 28 years.

Many things have changed... some good some not so good... Bees didn't change... well guess they have ... I remember Midnight bees but don't see any of them... they have moved on to other hybrids...

What is/are your favorite(s)?
    Well Ed- Actually Joseph is my middle name too, William is my first, but my father and several other close relatives were also William, that's why I was known as "Billy Joe" in my younger years, and since then decided to put my middle name to better use.

Frames -vs- Racks, is a good discussion topic that newbies can get their teeth into.

Yep, beekeeping sure has gone through some changes. My first hive was started with a package of Starline bees from Sears. My second was a package of Midnite hybrids from Montgomery Ward's. My present favorite bees are Cordovan Italian's from Koehnen's. My challenge is to maintain the Cordovan Italian genetics by breeding them locally. Raising queens is such a challenging and rewarding endeavor - I get a kick out of it.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

>(apparently by the Chinese manufacturer) clearly stated that the contents were racks for use in beehives.

Actually they say "bee trays".
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

wow... racks to trays....

Well Joe I am still called Joe to this day by my family... When I brought my girlfriend whom I married later, to meet my family... she knew me as Ed from College... they were all talking about Joe and she thought there was another brother or something that I didn't tell her about...lol

Starline...wow I had forgotten about them... Amos and I had some of those... I am not sure where he got them... but I am sure it must have been sears then. Maybe... He was the one that taught me about bees from about age 5 years old... He died when I was in high school... I remember going to see him in th hospital and he was asking me if I check the bees before the snow flies... saying I needed to do this and that... it was June/July... That's when I learned how the mind goes... I left there feeling confused and sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >(apparently by the Chinese manufacturer) clearly stated that the contents were racks for use in beehives.

Actually they say "bee trays".
    Thanks Michael. Slippage is already starting, I guess. I knew I should have kept one of those slips and put it in my scrapbook.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    I knew I should have kept one of those slips and put it in my scrapbook.
    Send me an SASE and I will send you a couple.
    Bullseye Bill in The Scenic Flint Hills , KS
    www.myspace.com/dukewilliam