Thread: honey frames

Default honey frames

i have many frames of honey, but not capped. do i need to feed 1 to1 sugar water to get them to cap it, or is it o'kay to take the frames out to extract?

Quote Originally Posted by woodmann98 View Post
    i have many frames of honey, but not capped. do i need to feed 1 to1 sugar water to get them to cap it, or is it o'kay to take the frames out to extract?
    I would let them cap it, so it's at the right moisture content. I wouldn't feed them sugar water otherwise you will end up with a honey/sugar mix.

If you process it and it's too high a moisture content it may ferment.

Feeding them won't make them cap it and as mentioned will adulterate your honey with sugar water. They will cap it when the moisture content is low enough and/or they don't need access to it to feed brood and themselves.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

get a refractometer and check the moisture content if it is right moisture content go ahead and extract saving the girls some work

Smile

I have heard you can't sell "adulterated" honey due to the fact that it is not true honey, but I have never heard if it actually safe to eat or not. Is there something that makes this unedable to humans?

Just reading this post put this strange question in my head and I had to get it out due to the fact that my head is full of other strange and unnecessary questions and random trivia that is never needed in real life that if I didn't get it out I might run out of room and I run the risk of half of my brain cells swarming away.

Richard
    6 Hives
    Crescent City, FL

[quote=akaneo;338493]I have heard you can't sell "adulterated" honey due to the fact that it is not true honey, but I have never heard if it actually safe to eat or not. Is there something that makes this unedable to humans?/quote]

It is illegal to sell any food product or anything for that matter that in not what it is advertised to be. If you are selling pure honey advertised has such then it should be pure honey. If you have added syrup or any other additive you have to label the honey with what has been addded to be legal. As for safe to eat. It might have a little funk to the taste. But should not hurt you. I would venture to guess there is a lot of honey on the pure honey market that is not pure. Bees will forage on anything they can get during a dearth. If there is a super on for a honey crop there is no telling what they are putting in the super. IF you are feeding a hive near a strong hive during a dearth robbing could be putting syrup in the super of the stronger hive.

>I have heard you can't sell "adulterated" honey due to the fact that it is not true honey, but I have never heard if it actually safe to eat or not. Is there something that makes this unedable to humans?

As safe as sugar water.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Well holly bees batman: I am kind of feeding a hive I tryed to take out of a house. I put the cappings from some honey in a bucket and am letting them have at it - -- -- is that safe?
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Quote Originally Posted by J-Bees View Post
    Well holly bees batman: is that safe?
    Well I dont know Robin! (with a deep bat voice) We may have to call the commisioner on this one. You have the Bat phone handy.

as long has the bees havent had the pesticide treatment that a lot of homeowners try before they call a keep. Or there is no disease in the hive like foul brood it should be fine.