Default Can I put swarmed bees back in their hive?

I just watched my bees swarm. They're clustered in a lilac bush right outside the hive. I just put a super on yesterday after I watched what might have been an attempted swarm (I watched it closely but it never turned into a cluster anywhere). Now this. I'm wondering if it happened because of weather? I read that prolonged periods of bad weather can cause a swarm, and we've definitely had that. Overcast, cold, and rainy for a days. Yesterday was the first day of sun in a couple weeks, and now we're back to crappy weather.

So, anyway, I read somewhere you can put bees back in their hive if you correct the conditions that caused swarming. I don't know for sure what caused it, but I think weather is a reasonable guess -- they're otherwise doing really well in that hive, and I think they have enough ventilation.

Any ideas?
    Thanks!

P.S. We were just packing up to go fishing when this happened. Nice timing, bees!:mad:

why don't you give them their own hive to live in? They've gone through the process of swarming, and I've read that swarms build up quickly. You can check out more info at Michael Bush's website:

http://bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm

I would think that if you were going to recombine them you would have to make sure you get one of the queens and squish her. Unless of course you want to have a hive with 2 queens, which is a whole other pot of beans!

Good luck!
    Let's BEE friends

I'd leave them separate at least until the "Swarm Fever" is over. That will take a couple of weeks. Swarms often build up very quickly and might even build up enough to overwinter. If they don't you can recombine in the fall.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Okay -- I have to amend my question... We watched the swarm, waiting for things to settle down, and it slowly shrunk, and apparently they went back into the hive, all except the few hundred that are scattered around in the grass and on the flowers and such.

So, what the heck? We went through and cut off some more swarm cells. Better late than never, I hope. But then it was raining and bees were getting wet so we put the hive back together.

Again I ask, what the heck was this about?

Quote Originally Posted by martyred_cars View Post
    I So, anyway, I read somewhere you can put bees back in their hive...Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    One method of making comb honey is to use a colony that has just swarmed.

Catch the swarm, and hive it on the original stand in a medium of drawn comb. Move the swarmed hive to a new stand...directly behind to swarm, and facing the other way. Add comb honey super to swarm.

Swarm colony has swarm, which loves to draw foundation, and all the field bees. They really draw and fill sections of cut comb if they're on a good flow.

Allow the swarmed colony to raise a new queen from the swarm cells. When the flow is over, kill swarm (old) queen and unite with swarmed colony (new queen).

Clipped queen?

they will continue to try to swarm until the instinct is turned off- sometimes when the queen is injured or lost. beter for you if you divide this hive and turn off the instinct. you can recombine them in a couple weeks if you like. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

How much room did they have at the time they swarmed?