Default Bumblebee removals?

Anyone have any experience with this?

I wouldn't mind charging the guy to take care of his bumblebees, especially if he's just going to spray them, but I don't want to go into this blind. Apparently, he was removing a pile of boards he had in his backyard, and found the nest. he got stung a few times in the process.

I'm guessing that it'll be fewer bees, and a ton easier than a honeybee removal. Any advice would be most appreciated.

I found a bumblebee nest near one of my bee yards. They have a hole in the ground by a white pine tree. They are the smaller type bumblebee. If anyone is close and is interested in trying to get them, then send me a PM. They are in the Southern Tier NY (Binghamton, NY area). I don't want anything for them, just a good home.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    I found a bumblebee nest near one of my bee yards. They have a hole in the ground by a white pine tree. They are the smaller type bumblebee. If anyone is close and is interested in trying to get them, then send me a PM. They are in the Southern Tier NY (Binghamton, NY area). I don't want anything for them, just a good home.

I got a 100 acer lake just south west of tuson
    "Life without God is like an unsharpened pencil - it has no point."

Default Bumblebees

A bumblebee nest is usually less than a dozen bees and the entire nest will usually fit in a coffee can. They dont build comb but wax honey "pots" in which they raise brood and store nectar. They like to build their nests in fluffy matter... like old mouse nests, bird nests, chair stuffing. Compared to honey bees ... they are a breeze to remove. A power vac is the best tool. It is hard to move and re-establish them elsewhere.

Will Bumblebees keep their same nest, year after year? I hope so, although right now they are pestering the honeybee hives.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post
    Will Bumblebees keep their same nest, year after year?
    The colony does not overwinter, and the nest is usually not re-used.

DC, thanks for the information. Oh well, next year they will be gone.

Default Oh well, next year they will be gone.

Don't bet on it!

Towards the end of the seasonal cycle the nest produces fertile females for overwintering in what is called a hibernoculum which is a tunnel to an underground chamber in which she overwinters.
    One queen per hibernoculum.

Regards,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BEES4U View Post

Towards the end of the seasonal cycle the nest produces fertile females for overwintering in what is called a hibernoculum

And they usually move to a new nest in spring, right?