Default Best way to keep honey

I have two hives, started from packages. They seemed like they were really slow to start, and I know they both have varroa, but not sure how bad it is. Anyway, it looks like from the two hives I can get about 10 medium frames of honey. If I remove it next week (beginning of august), crush and strain, will it keep in bottles till the end of september without crystallizing? I was hoping to use the bucket kit sold by brushy mountain to filter, and don't plan to heat it at all. If that's too long, should I freeze the frames? Thanks for any guidance.

-mike

It you keep it in a larger container then it won't crystallize as quickly. Just keep it in a nice sealable bucket until ready to bottle.

Depending on the floral sources, different honeys crystalize at different rates. As Alpha6 said, if you store it in a sealed pail, it won't crystalize as quickly. Regardless, even in bottles most honey will last at least a couple months before crystalizing.

On another note, I recommend you do a mite count and get a handle on your varroa situation. Late summer is when mite counts usually spike. Very often packages don't need any kind of treatment the first year, but you need to know where you stand so you can have strong, healthy hives heading into winter.

I would have to disagree with the comments on large pails of honey. I have had them go solid in less than 2 months. The largest deterent of crystalization is warm temperatures like a sun porch or possibly attic space. Cool room temp or cellar temp is worse.

Believe me, a 5 gallon bucket of solid honey is a pain to deal with. Small jars can be easily and softly warmed with water to deal with crystalized honey.

Fuzzy

A couple months in small containers works for me. I think I am going to filter it down with a 600 micron screen, so I would imagine keeping out the detritus will decrease the crystallization rate... right?

If you have them in bottles and they crystalize, you can set them in your hot car in the parking lot (or driveway or wherever) and in short order they will turn back. Putting them on the dashboard speeds up the process.
    Last edited by Jeffzhear; 07-25-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clarified something

freezing the frames will work great. im jealous cause i dont have that option. good luck,mie
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin