Default Bees not liking the ventilation idea

My bees were doing some bearding in the afternoon into late night due to their hive probably being stuffy and hot. I read on the forums here to set the supers back just a tiny bit to get a little more ventilation through the boxes. They're not back far enough for bees to go in and out, but enough for some hot air to escape.

Well, they don't seem to dig that idea very much, and have been diligently filling up the cracks with propolis. Should I just put the supers back to on top of eachother, since the vent-cracks will be filled up anyway?

I would. How is your inner cover set- up or down?
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Quote Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
    I would. How is your inner cover set- up or down?
    I have a screened board up there at the moment, with the outer lid propped open a little bit.

I glued some popsickel sticks to the underside of my top super. Allows space without creating beespace. Bees are still bearding a little in the evening, but so am I! It's hot down here!

I have taken out the entrance reducer. In addition, I propped up the telescopic cover with 4 scrap pieces of 2x4. I placed them at each corner of the hive. I then scootched the tel. cover forward, so there's a gap at the front between the cover and the hive body.

No more bearding.

Watch them closely with that 2x4 in there.

I made a 1 1/4 inch shim/top entrance thingy and they burr combed it all in, and filled it up with honey. It was a huge mess to clean up.
    Troy

I had thought of that and I am keeping an eye on it. As a matter of fact, I checked on them today. All is well.

Before I added the 2x4 blocks, there were about 50 bees or so between the top and inner covers. I suspect they were fanning.

Since adding the blocks, I've only seen one.

Its been hot here also I have a screened bottom and for the top I put a 3/8 wedge on the front corners. my bee s have not did any bearding for the last 2 months. they don't fill it in with anything. Now all they do is propolis the two wedges to the cover. They seem very happy I have done this with all four hives.
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

The Bee Works sells a DE conversion kit for Langstroth hives. It is just an empty box with holes drilled in the sides with screens covering them. It goes between the inner and outer cover. You could probably make one yourself. I don't see too much bearding on my hives.

http://images.fotopic.net/yu283e.jpg
    Last edited by Luke; 07-24-2008 at 05:05 AM. Reason: added link to pic

Why not just make the space large enough for a bee to go through? That is what I have seen by others, and I do all the time.

A couple of ideas if you are a little bit handy. You can either make a screened frame from scratch or take a jigsaw and cut a good portion of your inner cover out in the center, then tack screen over the hole. That combined with a screened bottom board really allows the air to flow.

I seen years ago one local man had drilled holes in some of the supers and I asked why. He took me to his Hives and showed me the front of them.... it was the top super, "for letting out the hot air", he stated. He said," We have vents in our houses at the top don't we?" I never used that idea, but I guess it worked. He didn't leave them on all the time though. But he kept them just for that purpose.

I had bought some used supers that had 1" holes drilled in the front....my bees loved them, they used it as a second entrance.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by melodywise View Post
    My bees were doing some bearding in the afternoon into late night due to their hive probably being stuffy and hot. I read on the forums here to set the supers back just a tiny bit to get a little more ventilation through the boxes. They're not back far enough for bees to go in and out, but enough for some hot air to escape.

Well, they don't seem to dig that idea very much, and have been diligently filling up the cracks with propolis. Should I just put the supers back to on top of eachother, since the vent-cracks will be filled up anyway?
    Like BjornBee said, Why not make the space big enough for bees to pass, I do.

Just like bee space, it must be between 3/8" inch and 1/4", If they can't get through it they will often close it up. If they can get through it, they will seal up any extra that they don't want.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    I had bought some used supers that had 1" holes drilled in the front....my bees loved them, they used it as a second entrance.
    That was about the size he had... 3/4 to about 1"

I know they make circle vent things for holes. I wonder if that would work to also help keep rain out?

I leave the empty hive top feeders on all year. Then I prop up the cover. No bearding and it's been hot. SBBs help too.

We've had lots of rain this Summer and my bees have not melted, yet. Colonies exist that, except for their combs covered by bees, are 100% exposed to the elements. I don't know if they Winter well like this in colder climates but they seem to survive being rained on. Heck I see it as an opportunity for them to harvest water without having to forage for it.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni