Default Hello from Mebane, North Carolina

Hello to everyone. I am a first year Beekeeper. I have only one hive for right now. I am so happy to find this great source of information. I live in what is considered The Piedmont of North Carolina. Are there any members near me?
    Make your words sweet-You may have to swallow them.

Howdy,

several folks here from central NC
    you've found a great source of info
    welcome aboard

Dave

HEY NC NEW

I am up the road in Whitsett, NC.
    Welcome to the site and yes you have found a great site. I have spent many many hours reading new and old posts. I am in my second year and currently have 8 hives.
    You may also be close to the Alamance Bee keepers association. They meet across from the old Western Electric plant in Burlington.

Ski

Hi new beekeeper, and welcome!
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Thanks for the replies. And yes Ski I am actually a member of Alamance Beekeepers. I took a class in April this year to get me started. I am thinking about taking it again now that I know more about what they were talking about. I am greener than grass. Most of the time I feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants. The first year really is a learning curve. I have read alot. The book taht has helped me the most is The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum. I would suggest it to all Newbees & all that like to read about bees.
    Make your words sweet-You may have to swallow them.

you can learn a ton here
    the ability to ask a question and get and answer in an hour or two is great
    heck, often you get 4 or 5 answers, all of them different
    also, play around with the search feature at the top
    you can find discussions on any topic you can think of

Dave

Hello and welcome from just northwest of the city of Charlotte....
    "Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
    torque is how far you take the wall with you."

This is a very active board with many beek's in the area.
    Ask any questions that you have someone will give you and answer from their point of view.
    Eden, NC
    Rockingham County

hey, ncnbk8 welcome. if you get over my way i'll buy you a pork chop sandwich
    "Any fool can learn, the trick is to understand - Einstein"

Quote Originally Posted by NCNewBeekeeper08 View Post
    The book taht has helped me the most is The Backyard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum. I would suggest it to all Newbees & all that like to read about bees.
    I'm glad to hear this book is helping you. I picked it up this weekend (I won't have my first hive until next year) and so far I have found it to be facinating. I told my husband that even if I end up hating beekeeping I will be glad I read this book.

Heidi

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi533 View Post
    I'm glad to hear this book is helping you. I picked it up this weekend (I won't have my first hive until next year) and so far I have found it to be facinating. I told my husband that even if I end up hating beekeeping I will be glad I read this book.

Heidi
    I just wish it had been printed with a bigger font! I don't need large print yet, but this was a bit small for my tired old eyes. It is a very good book, though.

Oh, welcome to the forum, NCnewbeekeeper08!

Quote Originally Posted by Heidi533 View Post

Heidi
    I AGREE!!! I have found this one to be really helpful also. I actually gave the information on this book to a friend of mine who has a couple of hives so he could order one for himself. I also have First Lessons in Beekeeping which was my grandfathers book back in the early 70's. There have been several reprints of this one since then with some updates.
    "Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall,
    torque is how far you take the wall with you."

Smile

Papa Bear-

Am I invited for lunch too? Not familiar with your part of the country, will need directions.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Welcome. I'm down here in SC but come through Mebane a few times a year. Good luck with your hive, are you planning on adding any more? I have just started this year also and have found that of the 6 I have now, each one acts just a little different, so there is a little more to learn with each one so far.

Default Welcome!

I am down here in Fuquay-Varina. Currently, I have 2 hives going. 1 - Italian, 1 - Russian. The girls are starting to get fiesty. Hot weather and storms do that I guess. Otherwise, life is great!

Welcome!

I have family in Mebane, and I'm in Asheville, NC.
    When your ship comes in, make sure you are willing to unload it.

Default Greetings

I'm down the road from you, between White Cross (home of the famous Fiesta Grill) and Saxapahaw, just over the Alamance County line in Orange.