Default Hive location question

Flats spots in the yard are at a premium. I have one spot close to a former chicken coop that has been converted to a rabbit barn. It's an enclosed, roughly 8x8 building with a shed roof. Rabbits occupy both the building and in hanging cages under the shed roof. My question is, would locating the hive(s) within close proximity pose any problems? By close, I'm talking anywhere from 10 to 15'. One potential location is to the side (furthest away) hive entrance would be facing south, similar to the shed roof. Other location is to the front of the shed roof area, again with entrance facing away.

Default Re: Hive location question

Welcome to Beesource!

I'd choose a location where the hives get the most sun. North Carolina is a big state with differing climate conditions (and your profile only shows "NC") but its likely that small hive beetles will be an issue for you. Full sun is likely to lead to less SHB than a more shady location.
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

make your best sunny spot flat with bricks/rocks and pallets. hive doesn't have to sit right on the ground

Like Kaizen says, make your own flat spot. These were not on a flat spot:
    http://www.bushfarms.com/images/Stand2.jpg
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF

Wild & Wonderful, Morgantown, West Virginia

Flat and WV usually aren't used in the same sentence! I'm going with best sun and making it flat enough to work with!

SD

Thanks for the info! I'm in the NW Piedmont section of the state. Dappled shade is what I'm dealing with as the open spots are in close proximity to neighbors, foot traffic, etc - which I'm trying to avoid. While I've got a few acres - the bulk is in hardwoods with main open area paralleling the road. I guess may main concern was my rabbits - and if a hive in fairly close proximity would create any problems, i.e. bees bothering them. As noted, the hive entrances would face either parallel to or opposite the the rabbit enclosure.

I put no bees in close proximity of any animals that are caged and/or do not have the ability to remove themselves from the immediate area. As most have suggested make your own flat spot via shovel or stand.

Yea... as far as distance to caged animals I would want more like 100 yards... but at least 100 feet. The bees may never bother them, but if they do and it turns into a defensive attack there is nothing a caged animal can do.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF