Thread: Apiguard

Where is the best place tp purchase apiguard (for the best price)?

Also, is apiguard considered a harsh chemical?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Chef Isaac I tested this year the first time 99.6% pour Thymol strips (Thymomite) in 5 hives with really great success.

1 strip beginning of April and two strips in August 25 days apart. 2 weeks ago I evaporated OA to see what’s happen after Thymol.
    Here the mites drop 10 days after OA.
    I had 2 hives with 0 mites, 2hives with 4 Varroa each and 1 hive with 5 Varroa on the sticky board. Normaly the company recommended 2 strips for a treatment but I was not sure whether I got all mites last year or not and put 1 strip in April in the colonies.
    I put the strips in the hives and my bees did the rest, after Thymol was gone they shred the empty strips.
    I got the strips from a distributor here but they coming from the same company where the Vaporizers come from. Must be somewhere in your area? Google for Thymomite.

You have to store the strips on a cold dark place, sunlight will destroy Thymol, the smell goes into the wax and I think it kills mites in closed cells. I put some combs in full sunlight an after an hour the smell was totally gone.
    Next year I will use them in all hives and than only 1 time OA in December.

The thing I am worried about is that the wax will absorb the thymol and I am concered about this.

ay suggestions or comments?
    Chef Isaac..Culinary Arts and Honey are a sweet mix! http://www.sweetascanbeehoneyfarm.com & http://www.adoptahive.info

Yes wax absorbs the Thymol, but only for a short time, that’s why it kills mites in closed cells. If you worried about it, put empty combs or your wax for 2 or 3 hours in full sun. UV light destroyed Thymol really fast. If you leave it in your hive it takes a little bit longer, approx 2 – 3 weeks.

You can blow it with a fogger every week (the whole year) in a small amount (FGMO+) in your hive, or place a strip on top of the frames (two times). What do you think is more work and time consuming?

Since we had Perizin (Chumaphos) this is the easiest and fastest way to get rid of the Varroa. The difference is… your not contaminating your wax with a poison. Thymol is a natural substance and you have it in your toothpaste, mouth swash solution and chewing gum.

Here in Europe there is no MRL for Thymol because it is a natural substance in some honey.

Hello Axtmann,
    I learned about O/A from you and just finished treating my last time for the winter (used it 3 years).I'm happy with it. I thought you were too. When I see you using Thymol I wonder if O/A became ineffective for you.

Dickm

Hi Dickm

I learned about O/A from you…. Are you joking?

I still treat my bees with OA but only one time the end of the year. I always have problems with lazy beekeepers and must treat at least 2 times, a week apart in July/August with OA. ……. but that’s normally our time to go on holyday.

First I thought the mites would help me, the guys loosing their hives in a season or two and the problem is gone. But they don’t give up and starting again and again, collecting swarms and baying nucs and wondering that some hives are empty late summer. There bees are gone and my bees have their mites.

First I had formic in my mind (Nassenheider dispenser) but that acid is a big problem when temperatures going up and down and I don’t want to loos my queens. Storing liquid acid is another problem.

This year is my first test with Thymomite strips and I’m really surprised. It takes approx 3 weeks for 1 strip before Thymol is gone, than a second one, the bees shredding the empty fabrics and removes them. I tried Thymol crystals but my bees dump them out in the grass, within hours there was nothing left in the hive.
    I solved a problem and my wife is not complaining any more… 1 strip and we can go on holyday and a second when we are back.

I bought my Apiguard from Dadant ($27.95/10 trays), but Betterbee ($29.95) carries it as well. The price was so close it came down to shipping charges and which company happened to have something else I needed at the time.
    The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams. -Henry David Thoreau

for ten trays eh? Is it cheaper to buy the bucket of gell and apply it yourself?

Chef,

A couple of our association members (sideliner and a pro) bought the gell because is much cheaper if you have a number of hives. They said it was not hard to use. I bought a couple of trays of the packaged Apiguard from them. The day before use, I counted about 15 mites in the screen tray. Within a few days of installation, the mites started dropping big time. I put in one tray and reapplied in about 2 weeks, per directions. This was in September. I am just now seeing one or two every week or so. For me, it was effective and I will use it again. You do need either those commercial spacers available or manufucture your own if you use the trays. I put an empty super over the top deep as a substitute for the first tray, but decided the spacers were a better idea and used them for the second tray.

[size="1"][ December 01, 2006, 10:21 AM: Message edited by: RonS ][/size]
    Hobbyist

Hobie you paid 27.95 $ for 10 trays that’s almost double the prize I paid for Thymomite strips and you must open the hive again to remove the empty trays. The active agents are the same.

Yeah, no bargains in the US. Look how long it took for them to even approve the use of Thymol here. Sometimes I think this country is so backwards.

And yes, the bucket is cheaper, but I only have one hive. Thinking about what Axtmann said, the thing to do would be to get a bucket, and smear it on some sort of biodegradable fabric that the bees would chew up and dispose.

[size="1"][ December 01, 2006, 01:54 PM: Message edited by: Hobie ][/size]
    The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams. -Henry David Thoreau

Default apiguard killing brood?

I have used apiguard successfully for a couple years. About 10 days ago I dosed a 3 hive body colony with the usual 2 hb dose. the weather has been in the mid 80s F since then. I had left a cardboard piece under the screened BB and when I looked at it today I saw a lot of what looks like chewed up brood, particularly pupae. Anybody have this experience with apiguard before?

I don't use chemicals in my hives so I can't make an observation based on experience. I like my honey pure, without chemicals, or at least as chemical free as the bees can make it. I don't talk behind the backs of other commercial beekeepers who choose to treat their hives chemically, (unlike some who post here and try to twist the issue by saying I do the same) rather I note openly the fact that most commercial beekeepers use chemicals and that I don't.

But I looked online and found this- maybe it will help?

Q: I used Apiguard in the spring and my colony seems very small, why?
    A: It could be that the queen stopped egg laying for a short while. This doesn’t often happen, but if it does, it is a temporary effect only. She will resume egg laying when the thymol odor is dissipating, after around 3 weeks, with no damage to the colony or to the queen.

Q: Why is Apiguard a gel? Can't I just use thymol?
    A: Thymol is an effective pesticide, but when applied as raw crystals or in dry formulations, it can be difficult and hazardous to use and the mite control levels variable. In cold conditions, the thymol crystals do not sublime quickly enough and mites are not controlled, but in hot conditions thymol crystals will sublime too quickly, shocking the bees into absconding and often killing bee brood. This is why Apiguard was developed in a gel, to give a slow-release system for the thymol, allowing bees to acclimatize to a low thymol concentration before gradually building up to a mite-lethal level. When used as directed, the Apiguard gel is safe for honey bees and brood.

This comes from the Dadant website http://www.dadant.com/Apiguard-FAQs.htm

How did you apply it?
    Last edited by gingerbee; 07-22-2008 at 05:11 PM.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

I believe Randy Oliver (in an ABJ issue) wrote about using Apiguard and having some brood being torn out and chewed up. If I recall, he wrote that it varied between hives. I personally treated in the mid 90's but did not see this. Obviously, all hives are different and are probably going to react different.

From what I've read it's whether thymol is a gel or in crystal form, I guess it's how it gets absorbed into the hive. But all I know is from what I've read, I have no personal experience with it.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.