Thread: How much honey?

Post How much honey?

I have only one full IL super that I need to extract. This will be my first ever extraction. It is a full 10 frames. I have no where to sell it or no real need to do so but I do want to bottle it and give it to some friends. I was just going to get some Mason jars (the little "normal" size canning jars). How many do y'all estimate that I will need to can my first crop?

Thanks,
    Richard

10 full deep frames? that's bee in the neighborhood of 50 lbs. or just a tad more than 4 gallons or so.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Think he was talking about extracting an ILL super with ten frames so he won't get that much honey from it, maybe a couple of gallons.
    Sideline beekeeper /State Certified Inspector
    Bee Friends CO-OP

2.5 gallons is my average from 10 medium frames.

If you are using quart jars, I would guesstimate that if you purchased a case of quart jars you would be ok. There probably will be a little more or less than this.
    If you see me runnin' you'd better keep up!
    http://hillshivery.blogspot.com/

What is an IL super please? Thanks
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Yes I am using a med (ILL) super, and thanks for the info I will go ahead and buy two cases to be on the safe side.

and Ray a ILL super often called a medium super is a super that measures 19 7/8" X 6 5/8" X 16 1/4", a shallow super is shorter measures at 19 7/8: X 5 11/16" X 16 1/4", and a deep super is just a hive body used as a super measuring in at 19 7/8" X 9 5/8" X 16 1/4"
    6 Hives
    Crescent City, FL

Thanks for the explanation. I often scratch my head and wonder what people are talking about. Now I know that stands for a medium super. But why call it an ILL?
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Calling it an ILL or Illinois goes back to Dadant & Sons, they are now a beekeeping supply company but they was first just beekeepers that worked along with Lorenzo Lorraine Langstroth who perfected the movable frame hive and found "bee space" that is needed in every hive. And Dadant lived in Illinois and they decided to make a smaller size for a honey super (they was using the same size as a hive body before) so this became to be known as the Illinois super or the ILL then when some people thought it was too heavy to remove a full ILL super of honey they decided to cut it down to the shallow super size.

I hope this helps, I do too much reading lol

Richard
    6 Hives
    Crescent City, FL

Default Almost right

Dadant did create the first 2/3 deep super (6 5/8") which was called a Dadant Super. Naturally all the other beekeeping suppliers didn't want to call theirs Dadant Supers (think Kleenex or Xerox Copies), so they called them Illinois Supers since that is where Dadant was based. Now most people just call 'em medium supers. I've standardized everything on this... brood boxes, honey supers, cut comb, etc. Everything is a medium frame in a medium box. I only use deeps for cutouts from buildings (I can tie bigger pieces of comb into a deep frame), but transition them back into mediums after a few weeks.

-ekrouse