Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Weather and swarming

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  RayMarler 
#1 ·
If a hive is prepared to swarm within a day or so ( capped queen cells present ) and the weather suddenly turns real nasty ( several days of heavy rain and thunderstorms ) does anyone have an idea as to what will happen? Will the hive swarm regardless or will it somehow postpone the issue ( destruction of queen cells ):confused:. On another note, I'm pretty happy that I am signed up for a two day presentation here in Nova Scotia with the author of Natural Beekeeping, Ross Conrad.:D

#2 ·
Why not place an Entrance Guard on the front until the weather breaks. Also, if it was me I would, as soon as you can, take the queen out and some bees and place them in a new hive and place a guard on it as well. Leaving the new Queen cells and hive in place as if it had swarmed. Saves chasing them down in a tree some place. Once she starts working in that hive laying remove the guard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.