Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pollination

We all better pray for rain.If not there will be an excess of bees,acres will come out quicker than they went in.It would be nice to have a crystal ball.

Hi Sheri,

Ya the fuel issue, if the price goes up just $5 it will off set any fuel cost's.

But you know, every keeper I know has again this year made increase this spring, the supply houses were running 24x7 to keep up. The planting's of almonds has slowed, the keepers making increase has not, you guys draw your own conclusion.

Big Grin Good one!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post

Sounds like to me someone has gotten a hold of a machine gun with too much ammo.
    Now, that was really funny Keith!

I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

[QUOTE=alpha6;338068]

They unload and place the hives then reload for shipment back. So if we send 1000 hives, then he makes 8k plus whatever for feeding on just our hives. Not a bad gig for them.

Doesnt sound like a bad gig for the guy who is supplying the bees.Shoot 8k doesnt even buy a load of syrup now days.Cost alot more than 8 dollars to move bees.

$8 dallors a hive to move in and out of almonds.

Gee that's like the doctor leaving the hospital after eight hours of work and putting in another four at McDonalds.

Default Pray for rain

High rate of speed:

Not sure if you're talking SD or Cal, but the westside of the SJ valley is really suffering from lack of water. One more drought year will cause some serious problems on serious acreage. Annual row crops are being abandoned to keep trees alive. Well water is too salty for almonds.

8$ per colony? Thanks Keith & high rate for a moment I thought I was overpriced as I charge more than twice that for unloading, placement, reloading, etc., and even then no cake walk or gold mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom G. Laury View Post
    8$ per colony? Thanks Keith & high rate for a moment I thought I was overpriced .....
    Yeah, for a moment there I thought we were way overpaying, lol.
    It is money well spent, imo, they really earn that money.
    Sheri

Does anyone have an update on Canadas' attempts to get into CA to pollinate Almonds? I have a friend who really wants to get into Canada to pollinate blueberries across the border from Maine. It would only be fair, right?
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Default Its easy to go to Ca.

FYI:

Nothing in beekeeping is easy!Regards,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I second that motion Ernie.I have said it from day one,anyone who sends hives to california for someone else to manage,needs to come out at least one season and play our fun games.definatilly not a cake walk.

whats the going rate for cranberries ? and why doesn't anyone want to get into that ?? Are you worried about pesticides ? Or is it because there's only cranberries and nothing else for nectar and pollen .
    Everything happens for a reason. Time heals all wounds - time and a half heals them even faster

Big Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Focus on Bees View Post
    whats the going rate .
    Ya Lou, whats the going rate for berries.

Dont get me started.LOL.

That phrase is as good as feild run.That phrase cost alot of people money as well.

Focus, I heard going rate for cranberries was $60. Usually there is more honey to be made that time of year than the amount of money they pay for cranberries, especially with the high honey prices. The bees usually go backwards in cranberries, especially in the big bogs where that is all they have to forage on. Sometimes they make a little honey but not usually, and they often come out smaller than they went in. I know some beeks that just send weak colonies that wouldn't make honey anyway.
    This year was an exception I think, at least in our area. We had so much rain and the bees made so little honey you would have been better off taking the cranberry money.
    As for pesticides I don't know how much of a problem that is as we don't go in, but the beeks I know that do go into cranberries don't usually complain about pesticide kills but maybe pesticides contribute to some general malaise. I think the main reason many go in is it is a cash flow thing, quick easy (relatively speaking ) money that time of year before extracting and selling the honey crop.
    Sheri

Quote Originally Posted by Focus on Bees View Post
    whats the going rate for cranberries ? and why doesn't anyone want to get into that ?? Are you worried about pesticides ? Or is it because there's only cranberries and nothing else for nectar and pollen .
    I'm getting $50.00 per hive. Here in Northern NY there are other things for the bees to work on after the cranberries are done.

I know another guy who pollinates cranberries in another part of NY. He'll be moving his hives soon. I don't know what he gets per col. and i do think that the area in which those crans grow is not a good honey area.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

hey, thanks for the info. I'm trying to figure out if its worth doing or not, and I like to get different opinions. So much appreciated !!
    Everything happens for a reason. Time heals all wounds - time and a half heals them even faster

Default cranberry pollination

Focus on Bees:

I charge about what I would get per hive if I were to go and produce honey in this area. We don't get a lot of honey here but there is a high demand for locally produced honey. The value for my locally produced blackberry honey is much higher than the "going rate of honey" has been in the last 4-5 years.

I suppose if the bees were able to get something else afterwards that could put a downward pressure on the price. On the otherhand I bring some bees to southern Alberta on canola pollination. Demand is fairly high so I may have to raise the price on cranberry pollination.

Cranberry growers spray insecticides during the bloom. They apply insecticides at night, wait a few hours then wash it off using their iirgation system.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Marc

Smile Cranberries

Wisconsin wants to increase acreage: http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/biz/296849
    Last edited by Oldbee; 07-29-2008 at 03:03 PM.

I got paid $65.00 for cranberry pollination . My contract is for a minimum 11 frames of bees. You have to rush to get them in and rush to get them out wich can be a real pita .If honey prices are over a $1.00 per lb. then its probably not worth it.
    I hear in Mass. they are getting around 70 to 80 dollars a hive.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast