Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

pollination

16K views 48 replies 18 participants last post by  Angi_H 
#1 ·
How did you folks that do pollination get started? Did you use a broker or knock on doors?

#38 ·
cranberry pollination

Focus on Bees:

I charge about what I would get per hive if I were to go and produce honey in this area. We don't get a lot of honey here but there is a high demand for locally produced honey. The value for my locally produced blackberry honey is much higher than the "going rate of honey" has been in the last 4-5 years.

I suppose if the bees were able to get something else afterwards that could put a downward pressure on the price. On the otherhand I bring some bees to southern Alberta on canola pollination. Demand is fairly high so I may have to raise the price on cranberry pollination.

Cranberry growers spray insecticides during the bloom. They apply insecticides at night, wait a few hours then wash it off using their iirgation system.

Hope this helps.

Jean-Marc

#40 ·
I got paid $65.00 for cranberry pollination . My contract is for a minimum 11 frames of bees. You have to rush to get them in and rush to get them out wich can be a real pita .If honey prices are over a $1.00 per lb. then its probably not worth it.
I hear in Mass. they are getting around 70 to 80 dollars a hive.

#42 ·
Will the $1.60 per lb honey keep all the Texas beeks at home? Wil Kansas beeks go to Texas? As for placing bees in CA. We haven't had a real sloppy wet year in CA since this mass exodus has started. It will be real intresting. Does your pollination deal cover flood damage? One sloppy wet winter I arrived at my Almond farm to find the entire place under a foot of water. One year a big beek from florida came out to cut prices and all the locals just sat back and watched him slog in the mud. He didn't come back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.