Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: pollination

Lightbulb polinating in Flordia ie. Georgia

[QUOTE=Troy;338093]I am a sideline beekeeper in the Orlando area. I saw several folks talking about watermelon and pollination in FL.

I have only concentrated on honey so far, but my bees are sitting idle right now. If I could feed them and get them pollinating a crop, right now, that would be great - at least for them, and for the farmer.

I was doing a little web research today and I found this information on watermelons. I though you may bee interested. This is from the University of Georgia, go daws!
    To read the whole article go to Tillie blog in the bee soruce forum and click on her web blog sight and then scroll down to the University of Georgia link. This UG link may be useful to keep handy to refer beginners to.

http://www.ent.uga.edu/

Watermelon:
    Watermelon plants have separate male and female flowers. The pollen is sticky and not blown by wind, so insect pollination is necessary to transfer pollen to receptive female stigmas. In the absence of superior food sources, bees readily visit watermelon blossoms for nectar and pollen. However, the overall density of flowers is low enough that bees rarely collect a surplus. As with other cucurbits, watermelon flowers open early in morning and close in the afternoon, so early morning (10 AM or earlier) bee activity is important. Not surprisingly, the stigma is most receptive in the morning. Each stigma needs about 1000 grains of evenly-placed pollen to develop a well-shaped, large fruit. This corresponds to about eight bee visits per flower.
    Seedless, triploid watermelon varieties also require pollination. Pollination triggers seed formation and fruit development, but seeds abort shortly thereafter.

Recommended Bee Populations for Watermelon

No. of honey bee hives/acre Reference
    2, 3 Atkins & others 1979
    1 Hughes & others 1982
    0.2, 0.5, 1 McGregor 1976
    1, 2 USDA 1986
    1.3 Literature average
    Rate
    1 bee per 100 flowers McGregor 1976
    Scrapfe---Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied.--Otto von Bismarck.

Will the $1.60 per lb honey keep all the Texas beeks at home? Wil Kansas beeks go to Texas? As for placing bees in CA. We haven't had a real sloppy wet year in CA since this mass exodus has started. It will be real intresting. Does your pollination deal cover flood damage? One sloppy wet winter I arrived at my Almond farm to find the entire place under a foot of water. One year a big beek from florida came out to cut prices and all the locals just sat back and watched him slog in the mud. He didn't come back.

Not quite a $1.60 anymore,market is starting to soften.

So what is the market price of honey then? Thinking of selling some.

Jean-Marc

Default Honey market

Calif. orange blossom, white, $1.55- 1.60

The market is holding right now at $1.50 - $1.60 per lb. of light. A few cents less for darker honey. I don't see it dropping lower then that this year.

Boy it sure jumped up the in the last 2 days.Last I heard was $1.35,but it is predicted to go back up.

Default Sloppy Winters

It's a great view from the living room window.

Hey Tom Shoot me a PM I have a Local Question for ya. And Wanted to know something as well. Give me a holler.

Angi In Hanford
    Angi of HHH Farms Hanford Ca
    Organic Farm & heritage, rare breed poultry, ducks, quail

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123