Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wax View Post
    Hmm. I just saw a large hornet in my back yard about a dozen feet from my hives. It looked very similar to the picture I've seen of the European hornet. It had the black and yellow stripes and red legs.

The only problem with that is I spotted it digging a small crater in the ground. I have been seeing these holes in my lawn where the grass is pulled out of about a 2 inch diameter area and have been wondering what created them. Mystery solved. The hole doesn't lead anywhere and I assume they are gathering mud but I thought hornets made nests made of paper.

What would they be doing gathering mud? These things are much larger than mud daubers or yellow jackets.
    It could be cicada killers, which are similar looking to European hornets. They are much larger than yellow jackets and make holes in the ground where they lay their eggs on cicadas that they have caught. Here in Arkansas they are very active right now. http://entomology.uark.edu/museum/cickiller.html

It could be cicada killers, which are similar looking to European hornets.
    That might be them. I thought that squirrels were digging these holes- they look like the work of a larger animal, not an insect due to their size. I wish I could find a dead one to get a positive ID.

We certainly have no shortage of cicadas to dine on here. Sometimes in late summer when they starting buzzing all at once and hit that rising crescendo I wish I had a decibel meter because the sound is actually loud enough to make my ears hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Wax View Post
    That might be them. I thought that squirrels were digging these holes- they look like the work of a larger animal, not an insect due to their size. I wish I could find a dead one to get a positive ID.
    yes the holes and the mounds of dirt caused by cicada killers can be quite large, here are a couple of examples

http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/tu...mage_large.jpg
    http://www.ento.psu.edu/extension/tu...ound_large.jpg

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by dhood View Post
    I caught two of the hornets today, I think I have identified them as European Hornets. They are still eating honeybees. I will be looking for the nest this week.

I can't get a decent picture from the digital camera I have but,this is the best I could do.

Here is a picture of them.

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/m.../hornet013.jpg

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/m.../hornet012.jpg

I did shoot some video of this insect attacking my bees...

He comes around regularly but today was the 1st time I have seen him pluck bees in mid air.

...I will try for some stills and close up video for more clarity and post...

Default Wasps & Hornets

dhood

If you want to help your bees out a little reduce entrance to an inch or smaller if weak.

Tom G. Laury said- If you want to help your bees out a little reduce entrance to an inch or smaller if weak.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thanks Tom, I did this as soon as they appeared to be a problem, but they would catch the foragers as they were about to land on the entrance, also they would pick them off while waiting in line to get in. So I took them back off. But, a few days after my last post here, we had a very heavy rain, storm, and several trees fell within 30 yds. from the hives. Since then I havn't seen more than 8 in the time I was there, and none within the last few days. I'm thinking that their nest was damaged by the heavy rain.
    Beesource thanks for all the suggestions, my hives seem to be doing better than ever, growing in population, and my queenless hive has raised up a big fat queen that is laying much better than the mother hive. They also seem to be better at defending themselves against yellowjackets.

I've noticed the increase in Yellow-jackets and some yellow faced hornets picking up dead bees in front of the hives in my yards. They keep my one yard which is on a slate patio cleaned up from dead bees. So far, they're not bothering the hives.

As for hornets snagging bees out of the air, I've never seen that and am glad. Good luck with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffzhear View Post

As for hornets snagging bees out of the air, I've never seen that and am glad. Good luck with that!
    As much as I dsilike seeing anything happen to our bees... it is just amaizing to watch this insect at work, fearless and bold. ...I would think at this juncture I do not have any control issues.

Thanks, V

yeah i have been trapping yellowjackets and watching the baldfaced hornets hunt.they wont go for a yellowjacket but the get above a honeybee and either knock them to the ground or grab and drag them down.i watched one knock down 2 bees,sting each and then go after a 3rd.i stomped one and when i came back out later there was another one right beside it.i was coming thru the gate in the fence around my hive with my 4 year old on my heels.the one beside the dead hornet came straight for my face and i kncked my son over as i went flailing over him.he was in the middle of the gate.he was screaming bloody murder so i picked him up and when i did the hornet landed on my shoulder and put it to me.i couldn't really do anything.i turned my head and tried to blow this thing out of my shoulder.it flew away unharmed.my son didn't reallt understand when i told him i thought the whole thing was pretty funny.i tried to explain that a 6'5" 220 pound guy kicking his son out of the way to run from a little bug was funny.

Cool Home made trap.

Heat a 1/4" bolt, melt 4 holes 4" off the bottom of a plastic liter, soda container,
    Place the holes at 12:00, 6:00, 9:00 and 3:00.
    Pour a 2" level of coke syrup in the bottom and hang it where they can find it.
    You cab hang a piece of meat inside to bait them in also.
    I find them eating any syrup that I may have spilled on the ground and I step on them. They will rob granulated sugar out in the open too.
    Good Luck,
    Ernie Lucas Apiaries
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

Read this post yesterday and got to thinking about it last night. It dawned on me that it may be Cicada Killers. Went to post and found out it was not an original thought. Have never seen one bother a hive though. Cicadas are pretty funny when the dog has them in their mouth. It really gives them a buzz.

Tom