Thread: adding supers?

Default adding supers?

Hi everyone! Two hives (new from packages) this year, going great. Two deeps on each. Added one honey super per hive 3 weeks ago. I'll go out to check today, and will have two more supers available in case I think they need room.

I don't want to harvest honey that they need for the winter, and when I added my supers there wasn't alot of capped honey in the lower two deeps.
    I'm ignorant at this point about what to expect in terms of any more flow in this area ie will there be enough flow that I can take one super per hive for myself, even two?

I'm thinking that if I take off the honey supers for my own harvest when 80% capped, and don't add another super, then the bees will work on adding stores in the lower two deeps. BUT-- if I do this soon (depending on how much honey I have capped now) will they be too crowded? Do they need the room of another super? Do folks in these northern climes keep on a super for them to feed off of through the winter or is that too much space (2 deeps and 1 shallow) for them to keep warm?

I know this touches on the delightful complexity of beekeeping! What am I not thinking about? Advice?? Thanks in advance.

Oldbee I hope you're reading today!

Are you planning of feeding the bees in the fall??

Yep...unless anyone has a compelling reason why I shouldn't!!

Well the only "compelling reason" would be that they have enough surplus honey.
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by acatlett View Post
    Yep...unless anyone has a compelling reason why I shouldn't!!

Estimate what the bees will need for winter, and what, if any your fall flow will be.

I take the honey and then feed in the fall, both pollen sub and 2;1 syrup with wintergreen oil. I will start feeding in middle March again as this seemed to work well in 08'

Good luck

On the first year you need to focus on getting the comb drawn and mainly getting a strong colony going into winter. If you can feed heavy syrup if they're light, go ahead and harvest. But it may take the pressure off of you (insurance for winter survival) to just let them overwinter on everything they've got. That way you may get another super of comb drawn out if you put it on as soon as the first is 70% drawn.

Though that first year's messy, sticky stingy hard-won harvest has a sparkle and flavor you'll never match .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I recommend you send a PM to "JohnK and Sheri" on this board. They are in Owen WI, which must have a pretty similar winter to yours. Just send a PM and introduce yourself, tell them you're a new beek and need some pointers regarding winter. I'm sure they'd be willing to give you some free advice.

I think Sheri reads the "Bee forum" space more than this one, so she may not have seen your post.

I live in Orlando, FL - you don't even want to think about what my winter is like.
    Troy