Wink how much ventaltion

I just put in a screen bottom board from Kelly.
    Should I take the mite board out completely or just pull it out a little? Its been rainy and hot with high humidity. More rain today poo

I have a vent on the cover above brood box as an entrance.
    Wishing you all the best of tomorrows and good honey

Take it out. Replace it when nitetime lows get below 50. It's hard to overventilate a colony with just a SBB. Send some of that rain my way and I'll give you some dessicated air to help the nectar cure .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I use screened bottoms "open" all the time. So far, I do not think there is such a thing as too much ventilation. I use vented tops also. If the bees need more ventilation, they just fan. If they need less ventilation they just fill in the top space. I do not limit them, they adjust to how much they need. I am in a high humidity area also.
    Curtis

As a recovering WI resident, I'd say check with some local beeks on overwintering with an open BB. Once they hit -35 F, I'd guess the girls would thank you for the floor .
    Bees, brews and fun
    in Lyons, CO

I run my SBB wide open all year. This time of year, I've got entrance holes drilled in my deeps that I open up too. Come winter time, I close up the bottom entrance, and let them use the hole on the upper deep for an entrance. I've also got slatted racks - jury is out on them yet though.

I really don't think there is a thing as too much ventilation. The bees can keep themselves warm/cool - it's the humidity that is the problem.