Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

migrating/pollination

17K views 39 replies 13 participants last post by  high rate of speed 
#1 ·
What is the minimum number of hives needed to make migrating and searching for pollination deals worth the effort. I am sure this is different for everyone, but just wondering what the number is for the people who are doing it .

#2 ·
It seems like you should expect as many answers as there are personal circumstances which would fit your question. So, here's my personalized answer. Maybe that's what you are looking for.

I started taking my bees to SC, about 18 years ago, when I figured that I would spend more money buying bees to replace my winterloss than I would in expenses going south and north and staying in SC for 6 weeks every spring. I didn't know of many reliable sources of nucs at that time and didn't have the capital to spend on them. I did, and do, have good credit w/ credit card companies.

I started going south w/ less than 100 colonies. Slowly built up to a tractor trailer load and what I could get on my flatbed. Drpped down to half a semi and am now back to a full semi and the flatbed.

As far as pollination is concerned, I deliver as few as 2 and as many as 400. My migrating for pollination is when I bring the bees back north in May to orchards in the Champlain Valley.

I hope this is what you are after in an answer.

Are you thinking of migrating w/ your bees?

#4 ·
The only migration we do is taking our bees to California for almonds, the other half year we manage for honey. Our biggest expense in migrating is shipping so we think in terms of truck loads, semi trucks. Loading the trucks as full as possible, with anywhere from 480 to 512, keeps the cost per colony down. Some beeks heading west share semis to pool that expense. So shipping is figured by the semi, but if we want to work on the bees while they are in California it is more efficient to stay out there for more than one truckload, as it costs us the same to drive out there and back for one load or for five.
As Mark stated, everyone will have a different answer, based on number of hives, payment, distance, time of year, etc.
You need to do the math taking into account all the variables, adjusting them until you get something that works for your particular situation. It could be as simple as moving bees into the pumpkin patch 10 miles from you or as complicated as being on the road almost year round. Full time migrator/pollinators have a complicated set of calculations because they are scheduling stops for multiple crops, some of which might not even pay.
Sheri

#5 ·
Bees from my area to Calf last year ran about 3k per semi load one way. Like Sheri said the smaller operators usually piggy back on the larger guys to split up expenses and it helps the bigger guys go into Calf. with more bees. We inspect hives before they ship to make sure they are good enough and usually want about 100 hives to make it worthwhile to add to the shipments. If your hives are not up to par, they won't be accepted, mainly because the main guys rep is on the line and Calf. has really stepped up checking colonies since the prices have gone up.

#8 ·
Depending on the configuration (singles, story and a half, or double deeps), and how heavy they are, you can get anywhere from low 400s to mid 500s on a load.
Many beeks that do more localized pollination do not use semis but move their colonies with their own flatbeds and sometimes trailers. The regionals going into cranberries seldom use rented semis. They often haul them and place them in the bogs usually at night with their own loaders, sleep at home in the daytime, then haul another load the next night. Depending on how far the contract is, even small loads can be cost effective. With the prices of fuel, I would think contracts close to home would be nice to have.
Sheri

#33 ·
Hive loading

So now you know why the bee boom has the metal loop on the end of the boom.
I carried a shovel and dug leveling ramps for my old 1954 International with a home made boom.
For those who do not know what we are talking about a boom truck must be somewhat level in two directions. ( front to back & side to side.)
Boom loading is so much fun when you have a wind too.
A side shift is a must have item.

Regards,
Ernie

#37 ·
I never could quite figure those Payne lights out. (anyone know?) I 'm using one on a 1 ton but just level it by guessing.
It sure is fun loading in a strong wind.
We have an old forklift with side shift.I don't think I could load anything without it. It also has "forward launch". Found that one accidentally the other night!:rolleyes:
---Mike

#39 ·
I never could quite figure those Payne lights out. (anyone know?)

Try to stop the red light from blinking and get the boom into the green light.
It is good on paper. But, after a while when you are tired and you have been stung a few times it becomes mentally challanging to say the least.

I have not brought up the subject of cables, electric cord reels, and the up and down push buttons.

Ernie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.