Default Buying used equipment

I have an opportunity to buy some supers and frames from a old farmer you is in a nursing home and the people who bought the farm are trying to empty the barn. What should I be looking for in the way of trouble. Or is there a way that I can sterilze whatever I get.
    Thanks

There are lots of thoughts and opinions on this issue so I'll just let you know what I do. When I find old equipment, I make sure that the boxes are standard size. I've seen home made boxes that "almost" sit perfect on top of my store bought boxes..but not quite. I also make sure the boxes are OK to use.....no un-repairable splits, no pieces missing on the bottom where they would leave a gap when they sit on top of another box...stuff like that. I don't re-use frames. They go into the fireplace as kindling. I don't re-use comb. That goes into the wax melter. Boxes that are salvageable get re-conditioned. If the frame rests are metal, I pull them off. Both inside and outside gets rough scraped to remove the loose junk like wax moth cocoons, etc. Then, I torch the inside until all the exposed wood has been blackened. I pay particular attention to the corners and the edges. Once they are cool, I sand the outside. Then, they get washed with a mixture of TSP, bleach and a mild soap. Once dry, they get another quick sanding and then primer and paint. It's a lot of work but sometimes, it's worth it compared to buying, shipping, building and finishing. I just finished 11 old boxes like that which will help with my expansion plans for next year.

I replace the metal frame rests if the original would is questionable (rounded or gouged). I also glue / nail any loose corners. Vents that were drilled into the bodies can easily be repaired with a cut dowel.

Obviously, I put new frames and foundation in after all is done. Excluders get torched to remove wax and then washed and edge painted like the boxes. Inner covers get torched and washed. Outer covers and bottom boards get similar treatment.

Hope this helps. Others will have different opinions.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Thanks, that was just the information I was looking for, the honey is nearly ready and I am new at this and did not plan for needing more equipment than I initially invested in.

Ravenseye is right, there are different opinions, but his is pretty much in agreement with mine!

I've bought a number of retired beekeeper's stuff. In the short-run, it's a great way to expand very cheaply and quickly.

Grant
    Jackson, MO
    Beekeeping With Twenty-five Hives: https://www.createspace.com/4152725

I wouldn't buy it again without close inspection. Is it really worth the time it takes to clean and sanitize it? Is it solid equipment? Is the woodenware sound? Has it held diseased bees, and if so even after cleaning is it safe to use? Is it the same size as other equipment?

My advice, after buying used, is to buy new.
    Try to learn something new every day and give thanks for all your blessings.

Buying used is not a problem for me, done it before and will do it again given the opportunity however for sure follow Ravenseye's advice, I find a propane torch works great for sterilizing inside the boxes. Besides it can be a good winter project.

Buying Used Equipment

I don't know about others but I checked legal code for state of Ga. and found that it is prohibited.

Buying cheap used equipment can be quite expensive. I wouldnt reuse the frames they make great fire starters scorch the insides of the woodenware with a torch. IMO used equipment would have to be almost free before I would consider even using it. Even then I would have to know where it came from and its history. Even at that I would be a hard pressed to buy it. New frames are cheap and so is budget grade hive bodies and supers.

Quote Originally Posted by Junqueyardman View Post
    I don't know about others but I checked legal code for state of Ga. and found that it is prohibited.
    Would you be kind enough to show a source for this ?
    I can't find any law in Ga. about buying used equipt.
    What happens when a apiary closes down ?

Thanks
    PCM