Default Are All Powered Sugars the Same?

I was looking through the Mann Lake catalog and I saw this statement regarding their powdered sugar:

This is another one of those products you asked for! Mann Lake now features the finest granulated Beekeeper’s Sugar commonly known as "powdered sugar" (never to be confused with confectioner’s sugar, i.e. powdered sugar donut, which can harm your bees) in beekeeping circles. This sugar can be used for dry feeding, to make Bee-Pro® patties, mix with TerramycinTM or any other application calling for powdered sugar.

I have heard some on this board talk about whether or not one can use the common powdered "confectioners" sugar mixed with Terramycin for foulbrood.
    What does everyone think? To buy Mann Lakes 50# bag of "safe" sugar one ends up paying as much for the shipping as for the sugar. I can't imagine everyone doing this.

Thanks in advance.

I use off the shelf type powdered sugar to make up tm dust.

it is my understanding that store bought powdered sugar contain some corn starch (likely dependent on the manufacture the quantity of corn starch could vary) which can (has been reported to) create problems when used to make up queen cage candy. I think this is more a problem in regards to the queens digestion than the attendants????

Make yer own by pouring granulated sugar into a blender. I just did a google search for pure powdered sugar and found a "Pure Organic Powdered Sugar" from Hains that contains "pure organic cornstarch." Go figure....
    Banjos and bees... how sweet it is!

Powdered sugar contains some corn starch to prevent caking. Some think this causes a problem, especially during the winter, because corn starch isn't very digestible and can cause defecating in the hive during cold weather.

BUT honey contains about the same amount of indigestible ash.

Bottom line? Don't worry about it. Use powdered sugar from the grocery store.

If I were feeding my bees powdered sugar, I guess I might purchase the stuff from Mann Lake. But, I'm not, I don't and I wouldn't.

To me, when I'm feeding or making syrup, I buy simple white granulated sugar.

If I'm doing powdered sugar treatment for mites, since I'm not feeding my bees, I simply buy the powdered doughnut sugar or confectioner's sugar off the supermarket shelf. I also assume that Tecumseh is right in that various manufacturers use differing percentages of corn starch in their powdered sugars, but, again, it's not a factor for me since a) it's not my intention for them to EAT the powdered doughnut sugar, and b) if they were to eat it when I'm doing mite treatment, it's warm enough out for them to do frequent cleansing flights.

I have changed up on one thing, though. For making queen candy, I used to just use powdered doughnut sugar and honey. Now, I take a small electric coffee grinder and powder my own white granulated sugar to make a non-corn starch "sugar powder". I did this because I've been noticing that my queens are eating a LARGE amount of the queen candy, and I'd like to avoid possible digestion problems in them. I have no scientific evidence suggesting digestion problems in queens fed powdered doughnut sugar, but it just makes me feel better. That, and it doesn't take a lot of effort to make a SMALL batch of sugar this way.

If you're concerned, blenders and food processors do a fine job of powdering sugar, too.

DS

Default sugar source

King Arthur flour company sells glazing sugar which is powdered sugar without corn starch added, little pricey though.

Thanks for all the answers. This is what I thought. It seemed absurd to spend so much on shipping if I can get (or make with processor) a suitable product. I don't plan on feeding with this, just want them to take the Terramycin.

Thanks again