Thread: sugar syrup

Post sugar syrup

I am a product of reeding too much with out enough hands on knowledge. So I thought I would ask everyones ideas to help out my thoughts. OK when feeding my splits sugar syrup what is the ratio that I should be feeding normally? I have been feeding light syrup (1:1) but was wondering if I went to a heavy syrup (2:1) would help them draw combs and boost brood?

Thanks,
    Richard

In the spring and summer I use light syrup (1:1) to stimulate drawing comb and brood rearing. I feed heavy syrup (2:1) in the late fall/winter if they are light on stores.

1 to 1 for brood production or to draw out foundation. 2 to 1 is more typically use by 'yankee' bee keepers to add stores for winter time and where the additional water content can represent problems (related to moisture and ice internal to the hive).

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    1 to 1 for brood production or to draw out foundation. 2 to 1 is more typically use by 'yankee' bee keepers to add stores for winter time and where the additional water content can represent problems (related to moisture and ice internal to the hive).
    If I remember correctly on this forum was also advertised feeding 2:1 continuously (Michael Bush and others). Based on that, that's what I am now doing.

Default syrup ratio

I also could use some accurate information. I'm feeding at a 1:1 ratio and they are slow to build comb. I'll be watching this thread for more info. Thanks,

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by tecumseh View Post
    2 to 1 is more typically use by 'yankee' bee keepers to add stores for winter time and where the additional water content can represent problems (related to moisture and ice internal to the hive).
    Good to know that this is more of a northern/wet climate practice. Here 2:1 syrup crystallizes before the bees can get all the syrup from the top feeder - even if heated properly etc. Think I will use 1:1 for everything now...

The problem with constantly feeding is when you do they can overfill the brood nest not leaving the queen any room to lay eggs. What happens then is you end up with fewer young nourse bees ( the ones best suited for feeding young and creating wax. The way around this is to give them a break from feeding every once in a while so they have time to process the "necter" and make room for the queen to lay in.

-jeff

How long of a "break" should they be given, a few days or a week or longer?

Thanks,
    Richard

I took them all off of the syrup to help with the buildup of syrup stores in the brood chamber. They don't like it too much they are attacking every soda can that is unattended now, lol. How long should I give them till I give it back? Or should I just do a visual inspection and when the stores start depleting then feed again? I live in central FL and we have nothing coming in right now and most of these are splits that I am trying to keep in good standings.

Thanks,
    Richard
    6 Hives
    Florida

I find that 2:1 keeps significantly better.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfeeding.htm#ratios
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF