Thread: Skunk

Default Skunk

Yesterday I visited to some hives to see if they needed space. Today I brought some supers to those hives and found matted down muddy grass in front of three of them. They didn't seem defensive, but I suspect a skunk was feasting on them.

I thought that I read something about an egg, and asprin mix being used to kill skunks. Any truth to that? Has anyone used this method before?

Hiya Indiana!
    Check out this searched link to another posting thread for skunk control. It seems that creating a small hole in an egg and inserting 2 crushed asprin will do the trick for getting rid of skunks.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ight=skunk+egg

“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

How high off the ground are your hives? I've heard that with the hives raised the skunk will be thwarted by the guard bees stinging its underside.

Matt

I keep my hives on raised stands to keep them out. I actually encourage the skunks around here, they are the best mousers you can find. I quarter an apple every other week and pitch them out around the house and barn and they come back for their treats. With thousands of acres around here and not very many people there is a lot of field space for the mouse and rats to take over. I much rather dealing with the skunks than them.

Wink skunks

Use wire mesh so that skunk has to stand on hind legs(expose belly too stings) and they go elseware. Better to have skunks than mice!
    bob

I used to deal with this problem so I changed to top entrances.

Bill

Default skunks

I'll second that wellcome skunk thing SCBEEKEEPER. I have one that lives under my chicken coop that really keeps the mouse population at bay. Plus now and then a chicken dies and he cleans it up for me. As for the hives lay down a few carpet tack boards in front. Just dont forget there there.

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    I'll second that wellcome skunk thing SCBEEKEEPER. I have one that lives under my chicken coop that really keeps the mouse population at bay. Plus now and then a chicken dies and he cleans it up for me. As for the hives lay down a few carpet tack boards in front. Just dont forget there there.
    put the tac strips on the entrence ,, when the skunk licks up the first bee it rips the toungh ,,, an it goes someplace else to finsh the snack

usually if you have a hive with skunk problems the skunks will leave behind skunk droppings with bees mixed in. and there will be scratch marks on the front of the hive.

Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF