Default Question About Wax Moths

Silly question here.

I had a lot of super dark comb from a cut out. This is my first year and I wasn't too sure what to do with the comb so I simply stored it. I finally got around to building a simple super budget wax melter and started in on the mess. A couple days later I have wax moths in the container holding the wax waiting to be melted.

Its turning into an awful mess. Can I still eek out some wax from the maggot infested sections or should I just bag and pitch the rest. I have two cut outs scheduled for next week and will have plenty more wax to melt down based on what I have seen of the hives.

I hate to waste stuff I can use even if its a small bit. Will the extreme temps in the solar melter (already got 1st degree burns from melted wax when I was poking around late after noon) kill the larvae of the moths and do the larvae consume every bit of wax?

On the side, I am amazed at how this is all working and hooked in a huge way. I am loving it soooo much.

One of the cut-outs is one I have visited twice before (huge wooden paneled warehouse) and another is a colony in a wine barrel. I'll take pictures of all of them.
    Richard
    Carriage House Farm, North Bend, Ohio

Freeze it, for 24 hrs.
    Curtis

Quote Originally Posted by Durandal View Post
    Silly question here.
    I hate to waste stuff I can use even if its a small bit. Will the extreme temps in the solar melter (already got 1st degree burns from melted wax when I was poking around late after noon) kill the larvae of the moths and do the larvae consume every bit of wax?
    Once you've melted it down and strained it, you should be good to go.