Default bag-a-bug for japanese beetles near hive

anyone have thoughts on the use of this product for my vegetable garden near my beehive?

Don't know anything about it, but if it attracts jap. beetles, I might place it far away from the garden (and honeybees). I wouldn't want to draw the beetles towards the garden.

Kinda like a electric bug whacker, the best one is in the neighbors yard!
    Last edited by Jeffzhear; 07-15-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added a sentence

I use it "upwind" from my garden and it is about 250 feet from the hives. The bees just ignore it. Yesterday all four of my traps were full (talk about a gross site!). I simply hosed the buggers in the trap with water so they wouldn't fly away and fed them to the chickens. The chickens LOVE them. And I get "free" chicken feed.

Dont use them unless you want to attract them to your property. I have tried them several times and everytime they attract more than they catch. The first time I used them they were on my roses so I hung one about 50 feet away one a tree. The population doubled about killed the tree and there were still som on my roses. Same result everytime I have tried them.

i had the same experience as sds888. but yeah, the chickens love them. i used to dump them in a coffee can and put the lid on and put them in the freezer until they became lethargic and then dumped them by the chickens. party time!

Here is my take on experiences with Japanese Beetles. Do not put a trap anywhere near your place (garden or bees). As already stated "they attract from two miles away" . Sure you can kill what looks like a bunch....very impressive...but the long term damage is greater. In their above ground lifetime, it seems all they do is eat, and mate. Then they go to ground lay eggs (thats plural heavy on the S) and return to their eat/mate mode. They seem to prefer my grapes, plums, cherry and apple trees over any of the other vegetation available. A few years ago I invested in a product called "Milky Spore". This powder is put down like a teaspoon every 4 foot and over time spreads to fill in 100% of area. It does away with the grubs/larvae (another stage of the beetle in the ground) and this product says it will last 20 years. Suggest you do a google search of it and read about it. The problem is that even though I have treated soil....random beetles still fly in...eat/mate and the cycle seems to continue. I still have to spray above ground beetles (random ones) and they still attract others. Guess this is a lot of verbage to say "don't attract them". Good luck!
    WD9BB, Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleB View Post
    A few years ago I invested in a product called "Milky Spore". This powder is put down like a teaspoon every 4 foot and over time spreads to fill in 100% of area. It does away with the grubs/larvae (another stage of the beetle in the ground) and this product says it will last 20 years.

I saw some at Lowe's last year. Would you recommend the product or would I just be wasting my money? We have grapes, apples, cherries, plumbs and peaches. By this time of year they have eaten most all the leaves off the trees/vines. I've sprayed with sevin about 2 or 3 times after locking up the bees late in the evening but the beetles just come back as soon as it rains. I hate these bugs!

DO NOT USE THOSE BEETLE TRAPS.....YES THEY DO WORK, BUT THEY ALSO BRING 1000'S OF BEETLES TO YOUR PROPERTY.
    I have too much experience with these.
    Milky Spore does work but, reality is the whole world needs to use it.
    I think the beetle(grubs) open the ground up to let water in.
    Just let them do their thing. DO NOT BAIT THEM.
    Curtis

Ive always thought the best way to kill japanese beetles is to go out once or twice a day and knock as many as you can find into a can of soapy water. It takes a minute but I think the traps are a waste of money/resources and this way you can avoid using insecticide. I love the idea for chicken food though-thanks!

Nate, Not sure if you were talking about insectide other than the traps or the traps themselves.

It was my understanding that the traps merely contain a pheromone, and they fly to it to mate and get trapped.
    Troy