Thread: when to add

Default when to add

My new hive was in a deep and filled eight frames so I put another deep on them and moved two of the frames up to the top deep. So at that point I had now 6 full frames on the bottom and two on the top. I went out yesterday and they have 8.5 frames full in the bottom deep and 7 frames full in the top deep. When do I add a honey super on top. I think the flow is over but should have some flowers in August blooming.

Depends how close of an eye you keep on them. If it will be a little while till you can check again it won't hurt to throw on a super.

Yea, the flow is over for us. It usually runs from the end of March-the first part of June. When you say the frames are full are they full of honey, brood, pollen or just drawn out? If they are just drawn out I would leave the super off and just let them concentrate on building population and storing honey and pollen.

Patrick
    "To escape criticism-do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

Thanks they are full of honey, pollen, and brood depending on the frame. I have been feeding the bees 1:1 and they are starting to draw out the other frames.

Sounds like they're off to a good start. You might me able to get clover or goldenrod honey this fall. My advice would be to check for mites, treat if nesesary in August or Sept to have them healthy going into the fall and hold off on the supers till March. Just my opinion.
    Also be careful with the feedng after they get the foundation drawn. They can store too much nector and become honeybound where the queen won't have any open cells to lay in.

Patrick
    "To escape criticism-do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."

thanks