Thread: Bees in Tree

Default Bees in Tree

I got a call today from a man with a problem. Seems he's renting out a house, and on the property is a decent sized tree, with a very small entrance for bees to come and go. He says they've been there some time. He doesn't want to "gas them", but does need to get rid of them before he rents out the house.

I haven't seen it, but extraction sounds about impossible. I'm building the bee vac, it's about 3/4 done. Don't think that would help, either. The guy mentioned another beekeeper that thought perhaps a one way device, perhaps like what you use for honey supers.

Hmmm. Any ideas anyone?

do a search here for"trap out" or "trapping" good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Gotta wonder why he "needs to" get rid of them at all...
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Lets assume this was a big nest of bald faced hornets hanging in the backyard, groups of yellow jacket comb under the overhang to the porch, a few black snakes living in the carport, or about anything else you could think of. Would you rent out a place knowing these so-called pests in most peoples mind, would be present? Just because the insect happens to be honeybees, doesn't make the landowner less liable if something were to happen.

To know they are there, and do nothing opens oneself up to litigation. Yes, you can make the "How do you know it was my bees?" comment all day long. But reality is that anyone can be sued for about anything. And it would be far less clear what the outcome if it ever went to litigation and details included that the homeowner knew of the bees and did nothing. We of course do not know if the tree is 200 yards in the back of the property, or 10 feet from the front sidewalk. But I can see why a homeowner in today's world would see the need to get rid of them in a residential area, on the property of where one is conducting a business that will assume liability for such. Certainly the homeowner may feel different IF he was living there himself. But I don't blame him for thinking different in regards to this situation.

You can also look up "cone trap" method. It is in many books.

That, Bjorn, is all very true. And also, in my opinion, a sad commentary on society.
    “The keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.” -Henry David Thoreau

Thanks everyone! The trap out methods are quite interesting. I don't have any spare brood I can part with right now, but now I'm armed with how to handle this in the future.

Thanks again

charge for your time. Gas isn't free.

"He says they've been there some time."

So now hes in a hurry
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape