Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Please explain what I did wrong

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bee Draggle 
#1 ·
A few weeks back I harvested my first hive of unwanted bees.

This was I thought the only way to get free bees it took me most the day and when I went back the next day to fill in the hole, there were a ton more bees so I had a small bucket and the bee brush and kind of swept them into the bucket and figered I would let the rest there an try an get them next year. Now this bucket had at least 5" of bees in it and when I got back here with them I dumped them infront of the hive boxes I have set up with all the others, seems they just walked into that box and I watched from my truck.

Well later that day as I was watching from the front door I swore I see a few of them take off with something large on them, so I moved closer and sure nuff two more one behind the other took off carrying another bee.

Now this is into a full week and today I watched and they done the same thing............. WTHeck is going on????? I took allmost all the hive from that old house an put some into the hive boxes and the most part I figered they would harvest again if it were right in front of them. Yes all the comb and honey I took has been reharvested but looking into the hive today it is close to empty, even the 4 frames I put in there from one of the other hives I have.

Thanks for any an all input JBees

See less See more
#2 ·
How far away was it where you caught the other bees?
I caught some bees from an abondoned trailor near my house (So far, 3 times!). I put them in a hive box with comb and brood as I dont have the queen yet.(THey went into the ceiling). Everytime I've done this they fly away, back to the trailor, with all the honey I had in the box. So, maybe they keep going home with your honey after battling it out.
anyways, thats all I have for my input!
good luck!
your friend,
john

#3 ·
I don't think you mentioned that you observed or found the queen bee in all that about,...'harvested my first hive of unwanted bees'. For one thing,--'Yes all the comb and honey I took has been reharvested but looking into the hive today it is close to empty'.

BUT?,.....did you get some comb with BROOD, open or capped? Most times the bees will STAY with their brood comb/frames if it has eggs/young larvae/etc. If you didn't they will probably just 'fly off again',..to be with a queen.

#4 ·
Air miles about 3/4 miles one way. I was told all I needed to do was put them 20 feet away......then again that was to be with a queen.

yes, they are robbing baby bee's or just hatched ones. The hive does not have that queen, but last I looked they were makeing a new one will see how it goes this week then before I go and try to remove them all again.

I moved the box last night so that whom ever is doing the robbing won't find them as fast this time.

thanks 4 the input

JB:}

#5 ·
When removing bees from a house you need to get all the brood, eggs and the queen and move them a mile away if possible. If that is not possible it can still work but many of the older field bees will return to old home where they will eventually dwindle down and die out with no queen to make new bees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.